Swype on Droid X with Froyo 2.2 question

kidqwik

Reaction score
Swype on the Droid X with 2.1 originally had a black keyboard with bigger keys to swype or type on. With Froyo, it's now showing as a white keyboard with smaller keys that looks look the Swype keyboard I had originally had on my Droid 1. Is this the "new" keyboard look for Swype on the Droid X or is there a way to bring back the old look before upgrading to Froyo on the Droid X? The version that is showing on the DX now is 1.64.40.9380.

docusync

Reaction score
Swype on the Droid X with 2.1 originally had a black keyboard with bigger keys to swype or type on. With Froyo, it's now showing as a white keyboard with smaller keys that looks look the Swype keyboard I had originally had on my Droid 1. Is this the "new" keyboard look for Swype on the Droid X or is there a way to bring back the old look before upgrading to Froyo on the Droid X? The version that is showing on the DX now is 1.64.40.9380.

kidqwik, you can use the old Swype if you really want to :)
Just copy the old "Swype.apk" to /system/app and "libSwypeCore.so" to /system/libs and restart the phone (you will need to find somebody with 2.1 firmware). Make sure executable bits are off (rw-r--r--) on both files. Don't forget to backup the existing files before you overwrite them.
BTW I've deleted my libSwypeCore.so from 2.2, so if possible - could you please upload it somewhere? I'm worry about the future updates...

OP
K

kidqwik

Reaction score

kidqwik, you can use the old Swype if you really want to :)
Just copy the old "Swype.apk" to /system/app and "libSwypeCore.so" to /system/libs and restart the phone (you will need to find somebody with 2.1 firmware). Make sure executable bits are off (rw-r--r--) on both files. Don't forget to backup the existing files before you overwrite them.
BTW I've deleted my libSwypeCore.so from 2.2, so if possible - could you please upload it somewhere? I'm worry about the future updates...

Hey Doc, thanks for the info! Do I need root access to do this and how do I change the executable bits? When I go into the directories to paste the old files it won't let me.

docusync

Reaction score
Yes, you should have root privileges for that. If you are a root already, just use Root Explorer and switch to the RW mode when you copy the files.
BTW you may try the new 2313 update MDW Presents: Droid X 2.3.13 - The Froyo Upgrade. Probably the Moto guys have been updated Swype as well. I haven't installed it yet, but planning to do it pretty soon :)

P.S. Any chance for me to get libSwypeCore.so? Really need it, otherwise I will not be able to install any official updates :(
I'm currently using an older version of Swype with English/Russian layouts.

Last edited:
OP
K

kidqwik

Reaction score
Yes, you should have root privileges for that. If you are a root already, just use Root Explorer and switch to the RW mode when you copy the files.
BTW you may try the new 2313 update MDW Presents: Droid X 2.3.13 - The Froyo Upgrade. Probably the Moto guys have been updated Swype as well. I haven't installed it yet, but planning to do it pretty soon :)

P.S. Any chance for me to get libSwypeCore.so? Really need it, otherwise I will not be able to install any official updates :(

I haven't rooted yet. I've been iffy about it with the DX unlike I was with the Droid. I totally can't stand the new Swype keyboard though with the first build of Froyo. It sucks sucks sucks. I saw the new build of Froyo leaked but read about all the problems people have been having with it so I've avoided it. Which lib files are you looking for? 2.1 or 2.2? I downloaded a dump of the 2.1 files from Motorola Droid X system dump :) - Android Forums to pull the apk and lib file for Swype from there.

OP
K

kidqwik

Reaction score

Ok, I rooted and copied the 2.1 files over to where the 2.2 files were after renaming the 2.2 files. I rebooted and now when I try to use Swype the keyboard pops up, but I can't press or Swype on any of the keys. A blueframe appears around the entire Swype keyboard and then the keyboard disappears. It looks like the 2.1 keyboard though, but I can't use it. Any ideas?

techguru

Reaction score

Ok, I rooted and copied the 2.1 files over to where the 2.2 files were after renaming the 2.2 files. I rebooted and now when I try to use Swype the keyboard pops up, but I can't press or Swype on any of the keys. A blueframe appears around the entire Swype keyboard and then the keyboard disappears. It looks like the 2.1 keyboard though, but I can't use it. Any ideas?

That is a bug in the old swype that sometimes appears. You can try switching to another input method and then switching back, it usually clears it. May not work on the hack you did, but worth a try.

In the mean time, I am in the Beta for Swype on my Incredible, and I will post on the Beta forums that upgraded DX customers are not all happy with the color scheme change. Maybe they'll make it configurable in an upcoming version.

Alan

techguru

Reaction score

That is a bug in the old swype that sometimes appears. You can try switching to another input method and then switching back, it usually clears it. May not work on the hack you did, but worth a try.

In the mean time, I am in the Beta for Swype on my Incredible, and I will post on the Beta forums that upgraded DX customers are not all happy with the color scheme change. Maybe they'll make it configurable in an upcoming version.

Alan

Actually, the Swype forums are open. You don't need to be a Beta tester. Swype employees do participate. Someone else had already posted about this issue, but I followed up that there are a lot of complaints on the various forums about it. Hopefully we'll see some attention.

I don't mind the change on my X to much, but I can see how hard it would be for someone who is vision impaired.

Alan

searayman

Reaction score
i have really bad service on my droid x after updating to 2.2, any suggestions for me? My reception was great with 2.1