Lost Swype

greyghost04

Reaction score
After upgrade I was looking for a microphone on the Swype keyboard, but there wasn't one. Swype was not working correctly either. I thought I'd delete it and download a new one. After the delete I went to skype.com and discovered they closed down free Skype. Now I'm back to the old keyboard with a mike and it works pretty good. I have to learn how to punctuate though.

I want Skype back with a mike key!

EbE404

Reaction score
After upgrade I was looking for a microphone on the Swype keyboard, but there wasn't one. Swype was not working correctly either. I thought I'd delete it and download a new one. After the delete I went to skype.com and discovered they closed down free Skype. Now I'm back to the old keyboard with a mike and it works pretty good. I have to learn how to punctuate though.

I want Skype back with a mike key!

If you went to skype.com looking for Swype, you were probably disappointed ;)

Seriously, several folks had issues with Swype after the 2.1 update, but were able to get it working through a reinstall. A couple of things to check:

• If you were part of the beta, you can still reinstall. Just find the original e-mail or go to the website and have them resend the instalation link and you can get up and running.
  • Look in your apps to see if you still have the installer package. If you do, try to re-run that.

For what it's worth, there is no mic icon in the keyboard, but here's hoping they will add that. Of course, you could always change the input method to temporarily switch back to the stock keyboard to get that.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know any post here that has linked to a copy of Swype has been deleted or edited by a mod. As it is a closed beta any sharing of copies has been considered to be warez.

+1 for checking your card to see if you have it still or email the Swype folks. It also is possible that the userid/password that you used for the swype beta is still valid and the download link may still exist for you. The signup for beta is over, but that doesn't mean the beta itself is over.

If it isn't on your card go get Astro or Titanium Backup and backup your apps so you don't lose the next one you might want back.

chefsal

Reaction score
update info

ive got the ese81 build. live wall papers, multi touch browser, new music player and gallery.
All the bells and whistles are here, [video=youtube;j5DeI5JGeJk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5DeI5JGeJk&feature=fvwa]YouTube - Android 2.1 Update 1 Running on Motorola DROID - ESE53 Build[/video]

but this is for the ese53, im assuming theyll go to 99 then start on update 2.

ctsv510

Reaction score
I was having problems with swype too. I tried reinstalling it from the Astro backup i had but it didn't work. I had the Swype Installer program still on my phone so I used that and now it works.

PsychoDroid

Reaction score
I had to stop using Swype because I suddenly got a thing saying mine had expired. Annoyed the crap out of me! I had gotten used to using it.

EbE404

Reaction score
I had to stop using Swype because I suddenly got a thing saying mine had expired. Annoyed the crap out of me! I had gotten used to using it.

Yeah, apparently there was a trial and a beta. Not sure about that, I had only ever come across the beta.

The trial expired for a lot of folks, the beta didn't, but unfortunately is now closed.

I'm hoping they finish the release version soon-I certainly wouldn't mind paying for it, and a lot of people want it but can't get it.

PyroManiac

Reaction score
I just installed a program called SLIDEIT does exactly the same thing as swype.

EbE404

Reaction score
I just installed a program called SLIDEIT does exactly the same thing as swype.

That was going to be my other suggestion. I wanted to post a link, but I couldn't remember the name and kept searching for "Slider".

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Both SlideIt and Shapewriter are viable alternatives to Swype. For those who want to give the concept a try, Shapewriter is free in the market, I believe.