Swype Beta Problems

ReidTruett

Reaction score
I downloaded the Swype Beta Installer and everything was going well, until I reached the step where you have to disable the old Swype. It says to uncheck the box next to Swype, however there is no check and I cannot find a way to disable it. The next step would be to "Generate License" but it won't allow me to. From what I've seen online, people say you have to root it. I'm not taking that risk, so can anybody help?!

simon_lefisch

Reaction score
You might be able to use the same method as the MIUI rom. Hold on and I'll find the link.....

EDIT: here's the link I used when I installed swype on the MIUI rom.

http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?3586-Swype-on-MIUI&highlight=miui

Follow it exactly and you shouldn't have any probs. If it doesn't work the first time try it again to make sure you did it right. Since you don't have an option to disable swype, I don't see why this wouldn't work as MIUI didn't have that option either. Let me know if that worked.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
R

ReidTruett

Reaction score
How do I uninstall Swype? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Android.

simon_lefisch

Reaction score
Go to menu>settings>applications>manage applications. Find swype, select it, uninstall.

OP
R

ReidTruett

Reaction score
My only options when I select Swype are to force stop or cancel, but it doesn't allow you to select cancel and that's where the uninstall thing is on the other apps.

simon_lefisch

Reaction score
Wait, you already have an older version of swype on your phone?

OP
R

ReidTruett

Reaction score
Yes, version 2.70.75.22915. It came preloaded on the phone.

simon_lefisch

Reaction score
Are you rooted and/or are you planning on flashing custom roms? If not then there's no point in installing swype beta.

OP
R

ReidTruett

Reaction score
I have no idea what that means, but I guess I can try new things with it. As long as it won't void my warranty or mess with my insurance on it?

simon_lefisch

Reaction score
Here's a link to help you understand a little more of what "root" is

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=632

If you don't want to void your warranty then don't root your phone. If you want more info on rooting your phone just search around the forums or google how do I root my *enter phone model here*. Took me 4 months of researching before I took the plunge. Make sure its something you want to do before doing it. Don't hesitate to ask questions....we all started at zero at some point and have picked up a lot along the way.

CM74D2

Meticode

Reaction score
In order to uninstall the original Swype off your DX2 you have to use an app off the market called Titanium Backup after you've already rooted the phone. TB will let you uninstall system applications. I just did this on my DX2 5 minutes ago.