Swype/Android Keyboard Issue with Which is Default

Anj

Reaction score
Quite simply, I'm having the issue (more of an annoyance) of which one is the default.

When Android Keyboard is checked, it supersedes Swype. The problem is that when I reboot the phone, Android Keyboard is checked -- every time, meaning I have to go into Lang & Keyboard and change it. Is this to be expected, or is there a way to change this?

OP
A

Anj

Reaction score
You do just have swype checked and nothing else right?

Correct... then after I reboot, both Swype and Android Keyboard are checked, meaning Android Keyboard supersedes Swype when actually using the virtual keyboard (thus, having to go back in and uncheck Android Keyboard.) Not a huge deal, but it really gets annoying =/

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Hmm I noticed yesterday that all my keyboard options were checked. I unchecked all but better keyboard (Yes I ike BK :D). If it was me, I would prob uninstall, reinstall swype, having no clue whether or not it will make a difference, hopefully someone here has a little more insight into this this I do..

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Both of mine are checked. Then I just change the input method in the text area and It stays with whatever method I select until I change it back whether I restart my phone or not. Which keyboards are selected only has to do with which options you're shown when you try to change the input method in my experience.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
A

Anj

Reaction score
Both of mine are checked. Then I just change the input method in the text area and It stays with whatever method I select until I change it back whether I restart my phone or not. Which keyboards are selected only has to do with which options you're shown when you try to change the input method in my experience.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ok, this is really odd. I re-checked Android Keyboard back ON, and it's not taking over Swype anymore (didn't choose any input method or the like.) Rebooted, and Swype is still primary. Still not sure what I did (other than Swype was checked first, perhaps?) but it's working now... so I don't think I'm gonna mess with it anymore lol. Thanks you two.

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
I have the same problem with HTC IME... the default KB keeps resetting to android instead of this one. FWIW, I'm running Ultimate Droid 2.2 (RC2)

OP
A

Anj

Reaction score
I have the same problem with HTC IME... the default KB keeps resetting to android instead of this one. FWIW, I'm running Ultimate Droid 2.2 (RC2)

Hmm unfortunately I have NO idea what I did to fix it. :(

nastea

Reaction score
Try moving it from sdcard to phone on froyo. Them go into settings and turn off android keyboard and reboot.Worked for me. I have found with froyo, that if a app gives me trouble then I move it to see if it makes a difference. This is of course if you use apps2sd.

tshoya

Reaction score
Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work for me with multiple versions. Additionally, I was unable to deselect the Android native keyboard (it's grayed out). That said, when I installed the GO keyboard from the market and selected Swype, it worked for me and the settings stuck. I then just uninstalled the GO keyboard (free) and voila. I hope that helps.