Swype problem

gauge

Reaction score
About every ten text my swype spud working, then i have to switch to android keyboard then back to swype. Anyone else have this problem? It just started last week.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm with him ^^^
Sometimes switching doesn't even work and sometimes Swype doesn't work even when pressing on key at a time. This beta version has taken a big step backwards convenience wise for me. It no longer is faster to type a sentence in swype if I have to switch things around before I can even swipe. Lately, even without a reboot, sometimes coming out of the cradle, it does nothing. Switch to stock, nothing works, a minute or so a FC for swype comes up then I can finally use the original keyboard. 50/50 chance swype will work if I switch back again.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
its probably the Beta timing out or something. Which Version of the Beta do you have? If you cant get Swype to work and you like the Swype style of keyboard you can always download SlideIT from the market. SlideIT is a Paid app if you want the good version but it is worth the $8 to have a backup in case Swype stops working.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a known issue in the beta (5652) version that power recycling requires re-enabling the Swype keyboard. If you're experiencing something other than this, i.e. Swype stops working when you DON'T turn off your phone, you should report it to Swype.

www.swype.com

Go to "My Swype" and login to the Swype Forum to report the problem.

Riddick

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is with swype and why everyone doesn't just use shapewriter which is free and available on the market without all of the bugs? Is swype significantly better? I've never used it before which is why I'm asking.

ShapeWriter Keyboard for Android - Tools

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is with swype and why everyone doesn't just use shapewriter which is free and available on the market without all of the bugs? Is swype significantly better? I've never used it before which is why I'm asking.

ShapeWriter Keyboard for Android - Tools

If you're already accustomed to using ShapeWriter, Swype may not seem to be clearly superior. And vice versa. And the same with SlideIt. With any of these "sliding" input apps you really need to commit to using one for awhile before making a judgment.

I began with Swype (the leaked version) and it took about a week of using ShapeWriter before my fingers "learned" the input method well enough for it to be a real competitor with Swype for me. Even then, I found that I could go back to Swype and adjust almost immediately. The same was not true for Shapewriter. Each time I returned to it, it took awhile to adjust.

SlideIt was similar. Within a week I was about as fast and accurate with it as I had been Swype. But when I returned to Swype, I was almost immediately comfortable.

I have no idea if this was because Swype is "superior" in some objective sense or it was just that it was the first keyboard I adjusted to and my brain "remembered" its features because of that.

Frankly, I think the fact that human beings can learn to use a QWERTY keyboard is proof that we can adjust to the most illogical, bizarre input method. All it takes is commitment to using it. The brain is a marvelously adaptive organ.

Riddick

Reaction score
That's a very good answer, thank you for the reply. That's kind of what I suspected.