Switching phones need backup assistance.

pbeachy

Reaction score
I have an unrooted incredible and want to switch phones, but I don't want to lose my apps, settings and most important my app data. My contacts are on an exchange server so I'm not worried about that? Is there a simple free way to backup everything and make this smooth? I have seen some say google automatically does it, but that is not true. My friend just rebooted phone and no apps came back and all data was lost. Please help..

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way to save application DATA (levels of a game, for example, or "points" earned") is by rooting.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

OP
P

pbeachy

Reaction score
unrooting

Seriously? there is no backup program that would work? What about simply copying the data files from the phone onto a computer then transfering? If I unrooted would I have to unroot the new phone to apply the saved data?

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seriously? there is no backup program that would work? What about simply copying the data files from the phone onto a computer then transfering? If I unrooted would I have to unroot the new phone to apply the saved data?

Unless rooted, you can't get to data files. If you root the Incredible, install Titanium Backup (or other apps that can save/restore data), save to sd card, then put sd card into new phone. You would also need to root new phone, because I dont think you can do anything with data files unless rooted.

Download the Titanium on new phone from sd card. Find the application you want to restore. Tap "restore app and data".

Now, if you get a newer/larger as card with new phone, what I would do is use Titanium with old card to restore apps/data I wanted. Move them to new phones internal storage. Remove "old card", insert new card and move apps to new card.

Any app that is "google" or internet based is saved automatically. (GMail/Google Music / contacts...)

Games such as Words With Friends are internet based, so downloading them and logging in brings back settings/games/data.

Anything you bought through market or Amazon is saved, just not the data....

If someone else knows more, or knows something different, I would be curious as well.

I am still using my rooted OG Droid, and just got a Galaxy Tablet that I rooted as well. Used my daughters Stratosphere and my older daughters Droid 2. Neither are rooted. Too much bloat for me....

Don't think I can get another phone until I know it is "rootable" and it has features I want....

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

shalou

Reaction score
I used (my backup pro) it works well. Save it on sd card or online for a fast restore.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using DroidForums