Sweeter Home 2 Manual?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
OK...what do the different levels do? How do I put a widget (say Power Control) on my home screen but set it so it stays visible regardless of the different buttons (springboards?) I tap?

That's a more complicated question. I'll upload my theme in a day or two with some screenshots, but it's a beast to even try to edit.

"Simple" answer to your question: Create a blank springboard. Select "no" for minimizeable and "on by default". Put it on layer 1. Add a system widget and size it for the Power Control widget. Put it on layer 1 or 2. Have that springboard control that widget. First time you run, the springboard will probably be off but when you touch the screen it will turn it on permanently and you will be set.

If, subsequently, you don't want to see that on other layers/screens above it, you have to 'blot it out" with a colored springboard or, if that color is too ugly for you, a picture object on a layer above it.

Grievous

Reaction score
OK...what do the different levels do? How do I put a widget (say Power Control) on my home screen but set it so it stays visible regardless of the different buttons (springboards?) I tap?

That's a more complicated question. I'll upload my theme in a day or two with some screenshots, but it's a beast to even try to edit.

"Simple" answer to your question: Create a blank springboard. Select "no" for minimizeable and "on by default". Put it on layer 1. Add a system widget and size it for the Power Control widget. Put it on layer 1 or 2. Have that springboard control that widget. First time you run, the springboard will probably be off but when you touch the screen it will turn it on permanently and you will be set.

If, subsequently, you don't want to see that on other layers/screens above it, you have to 'blot it out" with a colored springboard or, if that color is too ugly for you, a picture object on a layer above it.

Widgets don't have to have a springboard associated with them.
If all you want is a widget on a particular screen,
1. switch to that screen
2. menu -> edit theme
3. menu -> new...
4. select System Widget
5. size and place box
6. Configure widget.
7. done.

Widget will stay right where you placed it and never move.

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Ok. How do I lionk a cuastom tray to a springboard? I want to add a music widget that only appears when I press the media button...

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
How about loading custom tray to include only apps that I want and prevent synching? Thnx. You guys are awesome!!!

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
How to configure a widget to react (or not) to a springboard button.
Step:
1 - Go to edit theme, select new and pick system widget
2 - Hold on new system widget block, select edit and then choose the widget you'd like
3 - Edit the widget block again and change the name from System Widget to what you like, i.e. 3 (the music player : )
4 - Edit springboard button that you'd like to control it. The first option is controllable option. Select that and then pick the system widget you'd like.
Wala....widgets controlled by the springboard buttons.
If you want a certain widget to be on every screen, don't have it controlled by a springboard as outlined in step 4 above. : )
Pretty cool...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

doh! Forgot the obvious.

Also note that if multiple springboards control a widget, you can get funky behavior with the widget being turned off when that's not your intention.

An advanced option is to give multiple springboards the same group name. This will automatically turn off the one springboard when another from that group is
selected.

What I've done in my theme (and where funky widget behavior can come into play) is put the primary group springboard (which "unhides" sub-group springboards as well) on, say level 4. On by default and not minimizeable. When I select another springboard from that group, it turns off the primary. When I press a sub-springboard a second time, it turns it off and the primary is back on by default. Press primary again to default to the level 1 homescreem.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's my theme - uploaded to Sweeterhome as "PowerUserDroid" by Kodiak799. (soon)

Still a few minor bugs but running pretty solidly - just battling the bitmap and ram limits. Originally I had my custom background on every screen (which was pretty cool), but had to delete on all except L1 because the background pictures were using WAYYYY too much memory. Have not tried loading a custom theme overtop (doubt it has the memory). Going to be playing around with BB's froyo when it comes out and probably need to work droidswap and apps2sd to free up some extra resources to make it stable.

Here is a video I made (easiest than posting like 20 screenshots!). Plus, it shows off the speed and functionality.

This is on the first Froyo leak running at 1.0ghz. Battery life is actually not too bad because these widgets don't update all that frequently (RSS like every 4-6 hours).

Give me a bit and I'll try to attach a short video

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score

doh! Forgot the obvious.

Also note that if multiple springboards control a widget, you can get funky behavior with the widget being turned off when that's not your intention.

An advanced option is to give multiple springboards the same group name. This will automatically turn off the one springboard when another from that group is
selected.

What I've done in my theme (and where funky widget behavior can come into play) is put the primary group springboard (which "unhides" sub-group springboards as well) on, say level 4. On by default and not minimizeable. When I select another springboard from that group, it turns off the primary. When I press a sub-springboard a second time, it turns it off and the primary is back on by default. Press primary again to default to the level 1 homescreem.

Woa...kind-of confusing but sounds cool. Could you upload or send me your layout to check out?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Will see how this works:

PowerUserDroid by Kodiak799 -Sweeterhome2 theme

PowerUserDroid0.png

PowerUserDroid11.png

PowerUserDroid22.png

PowerUserDroid33.png

PowerUserDroid44.png

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And a short video...pretty snappy, lags on occasion. A little buggy, but we're getting there.

Running at 1.0ghz with the first leaked version of Froyo. Hopefully you can view the video. Let me know if you can't. Oh, and I'm playing music, too, just to show off.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've uploaded my theme as PowerUserDroid by kodiak799 to Sweeterhome.

If it works for you, please rate it! Heck, rate it if you don't like it.

Last edited:
OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Thnx. Will check this out when I get off work...!

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Are any of you guys and gals that are running Sweeter Home 2 using someone's ROM?

When I load one of my own themes, is there anyway to avoid re-inserting all the widgets?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Are any of you guys and gals that are running Sweeter Home 2 using someone's ROM?

When I load one of my own themes, is there anyway to avoid re-inserting all the widgets?

Nope. I have to re-load even when re-installing my own themes. Nuisance, takes me like 5-10 minutes, but it doesn't fubar your them on errors nearly as much as it used to (seems to be a Froyo benefit). I haven't tried a titanium back-up and then restore, though.

Sweeterhome said it's some sort of rights mgmt/security issue with Android code. He's trying to get an audience with Google to address some of the issues. I hope the poor bastard doesn't run out of cash because this has serious potential. It's also a steep learning curve and painstakingly tedious process, though.

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Any secrets for landscape mode. I created my theme in portrait and when I turn to landscape it gets all freaky.

Can I also do up another screen and when turned sideways that's the default screen?