Swapping Rom's

jvanekel

Reaction score
Hey, I haven't been able to find a direct answer to this while searching so I'm just going to ask. I was a big fan of Liberty on my DX until I got MIUI. So I waited for the Liberty ROM to hit for my Bionic. I like it, its cool. I just want more. I've read lots of good stuff about this TH3ORY ROM and I feel like its far enough into development to try it out. What do I have to do to safely go from LIBERTY3 1.0 to this SHIFT3R v2.1? Or is there something more stable? I would really like to see an improvement on my battery life. Everything else is just extra. Do I just follow the instructions and do the wipe data/dalvik/cache?

Also, probably a dumb question, but I see so many people talking about their 3G, this rom will let me keep my 4G correct? Thanks for any advice. Sorry for being such a noob.

jkliving92

Reaction score
Just download the base rom from the forum, save in sdcard, boot into recovery, wipe data, cache, dalvik, and format system, then flash rom. Do that exactly and you'll be fine. He's about to come out with an upgraded base though so id wait a day or two and keep checking the forum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
jvanekel

jvanekel

Reaction score
Just download the base rom from the forum, save in sdcard, boot into recovery, wipe data, cache, dalvik, and format system, then flash rom. Do that exactly and you'll be fine. He's about to come out with an upgraded base though so id wait a day or two and keep checking the forum.

Thanks for the speedy response! And I believe I will take your advice as well. Any idea on the 4G things?

jkliving92

Reaction score
Oh yeah. 4G works great. In fact he has a powerboost script that I think keeps Verizon from throttling your data when you start taking up a lot of bandwidth.

jkliving92

Reaction score
Glad I could help. I also forgot to add that my battery has been top notch. Good idea to always calibrate your battery after flashing a new rom though. Can really make a difference if your battery life seems to be significantly shorter.

OP
jvanekel

jvanekel

Reaction score
I have the extended battery and I feel like I barely make it through an 8hour shift. I can charge at work so its not that bad, just kind of a pain. How do you calibrate the battery? I feel like I did it with my X but I don't remember.

jkliving92

Reaction score
If that's the case then you need to update to the .893 kernel using the cheesecake app. The shifter rom is built on the .893 update but only the official OTA update from motorola can update your radio and kernel. You'll need the new script from dhacker to root again though since they fixed the exploit for rooting the .886 kernel or do the forever root before you update. Forever root is easier but if you ever have to do a fastboot restore after updating youll need dhackers script. Youll have to fastboot restore back to stock before you grab the OTA update. Since you're switching roms this is a great time to do this since youd have to wipe data anyway. Once all that's done and you've flashed your rom charge your battery to 100% (i recommend turning your phone off and making sure its at a true 100% charge) then boot in recovery, go to advanced and choose wipe battery stats. Reboot and let your battery completely discharge from 100% until it finally dies without charging at all. I know it sounds like a lot and I hate I don't have links but if your battery is dying that quickly its really your only option at the moment. In fact just fastboot restore to stock and check system updates before doing all that stuff. they may have pushed the update out already. Haha.

Last edited:

eap369

Reaction score
If that's the case then you need to update to the .893 kernel using the cheesecake app. The shifter rom is built on the .893 update but only the official OTA update from motorola can update your radio and kernel. You'll need the new script from dhacker to root again though since they fixed the exploit for rooting the .886 kernel or do the forever root before you update. Forever root is easier but if you ever have to do a fastboot restore after updating youll need dhackers script. Youll have to fastboot restore back to stock before you grab the OTA update. Since you're switching roms this is a great time to do this since youd have to wipe data anyway. Once all that's done and you've flashed your rom charge your battery to 100% (i recommend turning your phone off and making sure its at a true 100% charge) then boot in recovery, go to advanced and choose wipe battery stats. Reboot and let your battery completely discharge from 100% until it finally dies without charging at all. I know it sounds like a lot and I hate I don't have links but if your battery is dying that quickly its really your only option at the moment. In fact just fastboot restore to stock and check system updates before doing all that stuff. they may have pushed the update out already. Haha.

Hey thanks for this advice im also going to try it out im running th3ory 2.1 ics them. as soon as I light up the screen my battery starts dropping 1% every 2 minutes. I was thinking its the room and I've heard good stuff about liberty like in this link/video but haven't tried liberty.

[video=youtube;PfES-yxoasM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfES-yxoasM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

jkliving92

Reaction score
Hey thanks for this advice im also going to try it out im running th3ory 2.1 ics them. as soon as I light up the screen my battery starts dropping 1% every 2 minutes. I was thinking its the room and I've heard good stuff about liberty like in this link/video but haven't tried liberty.

[video=youtube;PfES-yxoasM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfES-yxoasM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Yeah I've been trying to find the cheesecake app and can't find it anywhere. There are some forums that have the latest .893 update that you can flash in stock recovery. Note that you'd flash that in stock recovery and not bootstrap so you'll probably have to change the name of the file to update.zip. just do the perma root before hand and you'll be ready to flash your roms. The liberty rom is very good rom but I personally prefer theory's. Developers are much more supportive and they're next rom, which should be out later today, will be based on the latest 7.893 update. Liberty 1.0 is still built on the .886 build if im not mistaken. Im about 80% positive you'll see a dramatic increase in battery life once you get the latest OTA.

Last edited:

eap369

Reaction score
Yeah I've been trying to find the cheesecake app and can't find it anywhere. There are some forums that have the latest .893 update that you can flash in stock recovery. Note that you'd flash that in stock recovery and not bootstrap so you'll probably have to change the name of the file to update.zip. just do the perma root before hand and you'll be ready to flash your roms. The liberty rom is very good rom but I personally prefer theory's. Developers are much more supportive and they're next rom, which should be out later today, will be based on the latest 7.893 update. Liberty 1.0 is still built on the .886 build if im not mistaken. Im about 80% positive you'll see a dramatic increase in battery life once you get the latest OTA.

i cant wait for the new 2.2 base th3ory but do u know if ill have to be forever rooted since its built off 7.839? and once the new th3ory base app comes out do u think i have to calibrate my battery again? or if i do it now will that be fine

Last edited:

jkliving92

Reaction score
i cant wait for the new 2.2 base th3ory but do u know if ill have to be forever rooted since its built off 7.839? and once the new th3ory base app comes out do u think i have to calibrate my battery again? or if i do it now will that be fine

Yeah the rom will be rooted. And od do a calibration after every rom flash. Just to make sure.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

didn't he say something about NOT having to wipe from now on.... just using updates instead.

pretty sure I read that in the important announcement.

so I'd just flash it... I just finished with flashing 5.7 and this AND ice AND webtop with the alt icons... working WAY better than it was a little while ago.

OP
jvanekel

jvanekel

Reaction score
Um...I hate to sound like such a noob and I understood most of what you were saying but it seems that modifying this phone is a little more complicated then my X was. What is Fastboot Restore? And PermaRoot(pretty self explanatory, but is there a link here in the forum you can point me to?) And just to clarify,-
1)Go back to stock
2)PermaRoot
3)Update
4)Roms away?
I appreciate your advice. I was getting pretty good at messing with my X and this all seems like a different ballgame. Thanks again!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Um...I hate to sound like such a noob and I understood most of what you were saying but it seems that modifying this phone is a little more complicated then my X was. What is Fastboot Restore? And PermaRoot(pretty self explanatory, but is there a link here in the forum you can point me to?) And just to clarify,-
1)Go back to stock
2)PermaRoot
3)Update
4)Roms away?
I appreciate your advice. I was getting pretty good at messing with my X and this all seems like a different ballgame. Thanks again!

I followed this Easily upgrade to 5.7.893, keep root AND webtop now :) - xda-developers and it worked wonderfully, I'm not on reblurred ice 2.1 everything is working fine