Super-Useful Little App for Families or Spouses - OurGroceries

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OurGroceries2.jpg

Here's a profile of a nifty little app called "OurGroceries". This ultra-useful creation helps you digitally share constantly synced grocery lists with your family or SO. You don't have to fumble around with a notepad stuck to the refrigerator anymore, or risk losing the list you made on that napkin. It has a simple-to-use interface which makes it extra valuable to those "technologically challenged" family members. The tool even includes multiple lists, favorite meals, and recipe lists. Here's a list created by the developer showing off the large amount of features and uses the app includes.

Take your shopping list with you wherever you go
  • Never leave your shopping list at home again—it’s always with you on your mobile phone or web browser.
  • Tap the “+” button to add an item to the shopping list. Type in a new item name, or choose from a list of all the items you’ve entered in the past.
  • Tap the arrow to the right of an item to change its name, delete it, or increase or decrease its quantity.
  • While shopping, simply tap an item to cross it off. Tap a crossed-off item to return it to the list.
  • You can drag items around to suit the order you walk through the store.
  • You can create categories or aisles and drag items into them to make shopping even easier and faster.
Share shopping lists amongst everyone in your household
  • Every change to your shopping list is visible within seconds on any other mobile phone grouped with yours, and our website.
  • Group phones by entering the same email address on all of them in the Settings screen.
  • We’ll send you a confirmation email for each phone you wish to share your list with.
  • Once you click on the link in the confirmation email, your phones are all automatically kept in sync.
Share multiple shopping lists
  • You can keep lists for multiple stores (Safeway, ) or types of stores (hardware store, drugstore).
  • You can even share lists not related to shopping (to do, questions for the pediatrician, wines we like, movies to see).
  • Tap the “Add a shopping list” line to add a shopping list.
  • Tap a list to see its contents.
Browse your favorite meal ideas anytime, anywhere
  • OurGroceries also keeps track of the ingredients for your favorite meals.
  • From the top-level Lists screen, scan your list of favorite meals and pick something to make.
  • Tap on a recipe to see what items you need to prepare it.
  • Tap the “Add a recipe” line to add a recipe.
Recipes, only simpler
  • An OurGroceries recipe is just the main items you need to prepare a dish—you can assume you have staples like salt and water at home.
  • Tap the “Add an item” line to add an item to the recipe.
  • When you want to prepare a recipe, add all the required items to your shopping list with a single touch, or tap only the items you don’t already have.
  • Recipes are shared amongst everyone in your household, just like shopping lists.
The app is free in the Android Market, but is ad supported. For only $4.99 you can get it without ads. Check it out and tell everyone what you think in the forums.

Source: TalkAndroid

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have been using Our Groceries for a while now. Great little app!

gatewayad

Reaction score
Yep love it have had it quite a while, have hardware store, grocery store, Walgreens, even the dollar store setup in there i just add things during the week so i dont forget

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
man we've needed this... i'm always stopping on the way home to grab a few extra things, and she's always forgetting a few things here and there... this will be great (if I can get her to use it!)

mnherky

Reaction score
we've been using this for a while but i can't find the add list option. where is it?

Reaction score
How does this compare with other grocery list apps (namely, Out of Milk, OI Shopping List, and Grocery iQ)? Has anyone had experience with any of the others to give insight as to which is the best?

sn2hotty

Reaction score
Been using this app for about 6 months now, I guess. Awesome. Wife and I can add to and cross off from the same list on both of our phones. Very cool. Gave it 5 stars in the Market.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I might mention this one to my mom. Definitely give it a look. Probably wont take the place of good old fashion pen and paper though.

CrownMyCoke

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty nice Grocery app. We use Cozi right now. It has everything including calendar, shopping, to-do list, etc... all in an easy to use app. It also sends SMS to notify of scheduled stuff.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ive been using this app for awhile now. I love this app but I DO WISH, it had one simple feature that I cant find anywhere.. adding things to the list in categories. Its strictly alphabetical right now. So, I find myself spending a lot of time doublechecking myself before moving on. if i could add things inside a list to say, Frozen, Meat, dry food, snacks, diary, etc... that would be fantastic!!

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
I found 'Out of MILK' a better free app. Has a shopping list for multiple stores, a pantry list and a todo list in the app. Just my two cents worth.

CLG

Reaction score
categories on Our Groceries

XKAPE-

You can add categories-that is how I have mine set up. It does exactly what you are looking for. When you add an item (or open an existing one), use the arrow on the right of the item to open the Item Details screen. Inside it, you can change it from Uncategorized to a category of your choosing. You can create new categories in that screen, as well as putting them in any order you wish, like the aisle in the order you shop at the grocery store.

I also like that this program works so smoothly between my Droid, Galaxy Tab and desktop. (Unlike Grocery Gadget that I paid for and couldn't get to sync.) Whatever device I'm using almost immediately updates the others.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've also been using this app for a while and highly recommend it. List sharing is a great feature and seems to work well. It has definitely saved me trips.

It's also multi-platform which is a plus if you have an Android/iOS household.

les017

Reaction score
Ive been using this app for awhile now. I love this app but I DO WISH, it had one simple feature that I cant find anywhere.. adding things to the list in categories. Its strictly alphabetical right now. So, I find myself spending a lot of time doublechecking myself before moving on. if i could add things inside a list to say, Frozen, Meat, dry food, snacks, diary, etc... that would be fantastic!!

GroceryIQ does this, as well as lets you reorder the sections to match up with the store's isles. We now have our local Costco and Vons mapped perfectly for our normal route thru the store