Suddenly started getting memory leaks (Android 4.3)

nofloods

Reaction score
I've had this phone for 4 years (Xperia LT29i, 1GB RAM), so it's a little ancient, but I'd still like to get to the bottom of this.
At some point during the day, it starts killing apps and shows that the amount of free RAM is close to zero. This persists until I reboot the phone.
I've tried checking & killing running apps with this, but it doesn't show anything hogging the memory.
Might it be that the ram module is physically corrupted?
Thank you in advance for replies!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-12-21-54-48.png
    Screenshot_2017-05-12-21-54-48.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 191

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forum, nofloods. Wow, 1gb ram is not much to work with. Have you ever done a factory data reset (fdr)? Chances are that after four years there is a lot of residual data clogging things up. Doing an fdr will get rid of all that and will start your phone off like new. Make sure you save all pics, downloads, documents and data you want to keep before doing an fdr.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
nofloods

nofloods

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!
As expected, this was a faulty app all along; it's weird that I couldn't trace it eating the ram though (is that the norm for apps these days, or was it a bug?)
I got rid of it, and phone seems to run fine so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-14-10-02-59.png
    Screenshot_2017-05-14-10-02-59.png
    235 KB · Views: 199

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for the welcome!
As expected, this was a faulty app all along; it's weird that I couldn't trace it eating the ram though (is that the norm for apps these days, or was it a bug?)
I got rid of it, and phone seems to run fine so far.

Yay! Great to know you found the quilty culprit. Chances are that the app is optimized to work with more recent os (marshmallow/nougat) and struggles with past os. Not sure why it didn't show as being the problem but my experience has been that many optimizing apps are limited in truly detecting what's going on and I've had to make those discoveries on my own.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk