Stupid Question about Google Voice

eversonsc

Reaction score
Okay guys don't chew my head off but I'm new to the google voice thing. I have downloaded the google voice app from the market and I just got a google voice account and I'm wondering this.

If I choose to make a call from my cell phone using google voice am I still using my plan minutes? or does the google voice use the data feature (or Wi-fi if I am connected to one) to make the call?

Thanks in advance

droid100

Reaction score
You are still using the minutes on your plan.

Google places a call from your phone to one of their numbers and then re-routes it through their phone system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it uses minutes, but (afaik) routes through a toll free # so you dont end up using plan minutes. Only thing is you lose your IN network ID, so if you call another verizon friend, he/she is going to be using their minutes (if it's at a peak time of day) and you will not be.

I'm not sure how it works though if they call your goog voice # and then you have it setup so that their # (not your gv #) is forwarded to your phone. That may still count as IN network calling... but again only for you, not for your friend.

What I do? I have it always prompt me when i make calls and if it's a verizon friend I call using my normal VZW #. otherwise I use google.

OP
eversonsc

eversonsc

Reaction score
Ok those are conflicting replies. One says it uses my minutes and the other says it doesn't. Now what do I do? LOL

OP
eversonsc

eversonsc

Reaction score
Ok so I googled it and found this

The Google app requires a connection to make calls, unlike GV. The connection can be provided by WiFi or by the mobile network. Both apps use mobile voice minutes as well, they do not make a VOIP connection even with WiFi active.

ironosity

Reaction score
However...If you add your google voice number to your circle of friends....Free calling in and out! Yeah! This is what I do.