Stupid (probably) questions from a new user

dnomyar1

Reaction score
Hello everyone. There are so many threads, I'm sure at least some of these questions have been answered, but I haven't had any luck finding them. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

First - I have no clue when someone has sent me a text - on my last few phones, there was a simple place to check if you wanted the actual words to be read out loud. Always, the phone would tell me who was texting - but I can't seem to find how to make that happen.

Second - I have an older Bluetooth (Motorola 505 I think) that is found by the phone. I can not hear anything through the earpiece, but I can push the button on the Bluetooth and it will call out or play music, etc.

Third - I had an 8GB SD card in my previous phone that I filled with 7.8GB of music . . . all with tags and pictures of the artists, etc. Can I simply take the files I saved and dump them onto the "internal" SD card?

I'm finding out many things as I go along, but there are several things I just can't seem to figure out - until someone explains it and then I'll realize how stupid I can be!

Again, if anyone can help, that would be great. Thanks very much.

Dragoro

Reaction score
For texts get the app called handcent from the market. Its the best text app available. You can change the notifications in the app settings.

You should be able to transfer your music over with no problems, but id put them on phones sd card instead of the internal memory.

OP
D

dnomyar1

Reaction score
Thanks Dragoro for the info. When you say "You can change the notifications in the app settings" - do you mean on the phone app itself or from the handcent app (after I download it?

Also, I meant to say that I'd download the music onto the SD card. Internal memory is going to be all used up if I keep downloading all the free apps available out there.

Either way, I'll give handcent a try and thank you again for the response. If you'd just let me know about how exactly I can be alerted that I've received a text, that would be great.

Thanks,

Ray

Dragoro

Reaction score
Handcent can alert you with sound, pop up box, and with the notification light depending on how you set it up in the handcent settings menu.

pool_shark

Reaction score
To my knowledge the only app available that will read your text messages to you is Vlingo, it will not read it over BT unless it's an A2DP headset.

As to your music question, you can't access the internal memory on your own. You can download as many apps as the device can hold, some you can even move onto the SD card.

OP
D

dnomyar1

Reaction score
Thank you both so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

mindytyson3

Reaction score
For texts get the app called handcent from the market. Its the best text app available. You can change the notifications in the app settings.

You should be able to transfer your music over with no problems, but id put them on phones sd card instead of the internal memory.

ok i looked up handcent and there is one on there that is called SMS. is this one good too or just use handcent? thanks.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13

ok i looked up handcent and there is one on there that is called SMS. is this one good too or just use handcent? thanks.

Handcent is pretty awesome...very customizable...

Sent from my Droid X