Stuck pixel, between the display and glass?

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
As of today, I noticed that near the bottom of my screen, on the left side, I have what looks like a white stuck pixel. At least, that's what I thought at first. If I looked at it sideways, it looked like it was actually between the actual display and the glass. Upon even further 'testing', it only seems to light up when the capacitive button backlight is on.

Any idea what could have have caused this, or any possibly fixes? It's driving me crazy.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a small particle of dust sitting in just the right position to be illuminated by the slight "backlight bleed" of the capacitive buttons. Really, that's ALL it could be.

Any possible fix would involve dismantling the device, and unless you have access to a clean room, would likely make the problem worse (more dust particles might be introduced).

OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
Oooh, that sounds like poop. I was afraid of that.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But I can think of absolutely nothing else that is COULD be. To be fair, absolutely no smartphone on the market is immune from this, as they all have plenty of openings where dust can get in. It's just unfortunate that in your case, the dust ended up in a spot that is easily noticable.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
As of today, I noticed that near the bottom of my screen, on the left side, I have what looks like a white stuck pixel. At least, that's what I thought at first. If I looked at it sideways, it looked like it was actually between the actual display and the glass. Upon even further 'testing', it only seems to light up when the capacitive button backlight is on.

Any idea what could have have caused this, or any possibly fixes? It's driving me crazy.

That is not a stuck pixel (or dust) if you are referring to the small dot of light at the very bottom edge. It can be seen on many devices at either the left, right, or both sides (as it is on mine). It's either one of two things;

It may be light leaking through the edge of the glass via Total Internal Reflection, the same process whereby light is transmitted down a fiber optic glass thread. Since the glass has some internal reflective qualities, when you expose the large flat surface to light, some of it gets essentially trapped between the front and rear polished surfaces and begins bouncing back and forth until it eventually makes its way out a perpendicular edge.

It's nothing to be worried about. It has to do with the physical positioning of the display in the case and if the display sits just a fraction of a millimeter too high, the edge of the display is exposed and this lets you see the edge glass light escaping.

It also may be as mentioned by Dave12308, light escaping from the backlight of the capacitive buttons. To be sure, see if the light is there when the buttons are not lit.

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
My dust theory is based on the fact that this seemingly appeared out of nowhere, FoxKat. I've got a bit of dust in the same location on my D1 screen (can see the speck of dust under strong sunlight with screen turned off) and it appears exactly as the OP describes it - a white stuck pixel. I do recognize the phenomenon that you are referring to, but to me that would be pretty hard to mistake for a stuck pixel, as generally the area of light is larger than one pixel in size.

This is one of those situations where "a picture is worth a thousand words" - assuming that it would show up in a picture clear enough to tell what is going on.

EDIT: Another thing it could possible be is a tiny flaw in the actual Gorilla Glass itself, i've seen what appear to be tiny bubbles in the glass on some devices - I suppose if the light were to hit a flaw like this just right, it would also mimic a stuck pixel. But my thought is that an issue such as this would have been present from the beginning.

Last edited:

crashN2u

Reaction score
I just had a "stuck" pixel. Appeared out of nowhere about a week ago. Drove me nuts. I was pretty bummed. Funny thing though, I upgraded to ICS and it immediately disappeared. Immediately as in during the upgrade process.

OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
I stated that the light is only on when the buttons are on, I know that much. I'm wondering why it only showed up as of today. However, when the cap buttons aren't lit, it's visible at an angle and looks like something wedged in under the glass. I think that's the big symptom that points to dust at this point.

Oh, and I tried to get some pictures. That's not panning out too well.