streaming music service with sd card in one

bryced

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was an app that will let me stream music and play music already on my sd card? I have many mixtapes that artists have given out that is not on streaming sites due to the labels they have licensed with. I would like to stream music and have the ability to listen to music on my sd card in the same app.

thanks

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

I don't think its possible on your phone itself, however, you can look into shoutcast, a free music streaming solution you can set up on a computer. For Linux, there is IceCast, which works the same.
Another option would be to use DropBox, which lets you share files with other people, and there is an Android client for that.

OP
B

bryced

Reaction score
um

none of those will help me stream both music on my phone and off.

D

dvdcatalyst

DropBox actually would let you access the songs when you are using your phone, as well as provide access to the songs for other devices such as your PC, or make them accessible over the web to other people (they can access publicly shared files using a webbrowser).

Maybe rephrase your first post a bit to make it a bit more clear?

From your post, I get that you have a collection of music that is not available on streaming sites, so you want to be able to play them on your phone and you want to stream them, which basically means you want to make the music you have accessible for other devices or other people.

I assume you don't have any problems in making the files play on your phone. As long as they are in the correct format, the music player will play them for you.

For the streaming, DropBox syncs a folder from your phone onto a folder on the internet, so whatever files you have in this folder will be on the internet, even if your phone is off. Then, it is just a matter of accessing your DropBox share on a different device, and you can play the music files directly from there.
There is a topic on this in regards of video streaming on these forums already, and it will work just the same for music.

If you want to actually "DJ" with the songs, or provide something like Pandora with these music files, than you will have to set up something like a shoutcast server of your own.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/59636-streaming-video-android-dropbox.html

OP
B

bryced

Reaction score
I didn't fully understand how drop box could do that, I do now. Thanks for explaining. How do I set up a shoutcast server?

OP
B

bryced

Reaction score
I used to have Rhapsody so I could stream music on my droid but I couldn't play music on my sd card using the rhapsody app. So I want to have a streaming music service that I pay for that also includes music from both the streaming service and my sd card.

D

dvdcatalyst

I used to have Rhapsody so I could stream music on my droid but I couldn't play music on my sd card using the rhapsody app. So I want to have a streaming music service that I pay for that also includes music from both the streaming service and my sd card.

Ah, ok, now I get it.

You just want an app that lets you access streams AND play your music files, rather than having to use 2 apps.

From your first post I was under the impression you wanted to set up your own streaming radio station with the hard-to-find music files you already have.

So basically you want Rapsody with Music Player in one?

For a pay-service I don't think there are apps that would do that, but you could use WinAmp for Android, which has a large collection of internet radio stations it will stream from and it can play your music files on your memorycard.

No need for shoutcast or dropbox.