Strategizing a Way to Get the GS3 if VZ Cuts Grandfathered Data Before Then

npro1464

Reaction score
So since Verizon will be forcing us onto a tiered plan, we have to come up with a way to either use our last upgrade or decide if we should just ship. I'm suspecting the Galaxy S3 will drop before the Olympics in the US, and I think Verizon will get it than. So I wanted to know if we have any options as far as upgrading. Verizon might rethink cutting unlimited/pushes it off till late summer or early fall. Perhaps they want to get the GS3 and iPhone 5 in before they do it, knowing they will be able to lock in most of their customers who were angry and threatening to jump ship. If I were Verizon this is what I'd do.

But what if Verizon starts their new policy sometime before the GS3 drops? In this case, if we had advance notice of them doing this, would we be able to "rent" a phone until the GS3 drops? Could we keep exchanging phones until the GS3 drops just to buy us time? Or would we have just 14 days?

Or, we could wait 6-8 months after the GS3 launch for the Craigslist prices to go down. The prices of used VZ phones will probably remain high after this policy is implemented, unfortunately.

Our other options, are just that: what other carrier could we go to that would make us happy? We all know what Sprint and T-Mobile are about. AT&T is worse than Verizon, but supposedly there is a way to get a "dumb phone" unlimited data plan with HSPA+ speeds if you purchase an international version. But considering they want $800 for it without a contract, I think this is pointless in thinking about. I like the idea of free-lancing it, and honestly that may make me the happiest in the long run. However, is it worth it paying the premium for an unlocked phone and having the satisfaction of dropping Verizon or is it better just paying the premium on Verizon? But I really want this freakin phone, and I do have it pretty good at Verizon with unlimited LTE. We'll all have to make the decision one day, what will you guys do?

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I started a similar discussion here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...u-want-irrelevant-what-youve-chosen-hand.html

My conclusion was similar: we will likely have to choose between keeping unlimited data, or waiting for the summer/fall flagship phones. My thinking--for myself--was that I don't use more than 2 GB a month with 3G. That will likely go up when I get 4G. But my priority is to have the nicest phone I can get. Sure, there will always be a newer phone on the horizon, but I've set my horizon at this summer. Whether it's SGS3, Razr HD, or whatever Verizon's offering in June/July, that's what I'm getting. If unlimited data is still available, I'll be very happy, but if not, so be it. I'm more upset about that stupid arbitrary $30 upgrade fee.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
on exchanging phones i think you can only do it once.

otherwise start saving now and buy the phone you want.

IMO unlimeted data will be done BEFORE the release of the Iphone 5

no major release of android will get the masses like the iphone 5 will,

OP
N

npro1464

Reaction score
on exchanging phones i think you can only do it once.

otherwise start saving now and buy the phone you want.

IMO unlimeted data will be done BEFORE the release of the Iphone 5

no major release of android will get the masses like the iphone 5 will,

I don't know, the GS3 has become the most pre-ordered phone in history. Of course, that will change when the iPhone 5 comes out. But I think the Galaxy S3 is to be taken seriously.

the3dolla

Reaction score
The problem I have is all 5 of my lines have the "20 discount talk and text + data", which comes out to $100/mo in savings. It WILL drop off if I don't have an "Unlimited Data" plan; thus, the only way I see to keep the discount and in this case unlimited data is to only allow my family to pay full retail for phones. I just got a Maxx, my sisters both just got the 4S, and my dad has my old X2; which is good enough for him. My mom has one of my sisters old incredibles though. I'm hoping we can do at least a few more contract upgrades before then though. I really don't think it's going to hit as quick as we think; who knows tho.

TDJ112

Reaction score
Thought just popped in my head......although not sure how much this might help you....

I have the Droid 3 and wont be able to upgrade til Jan 2013....The D3 is still 3G....and I really want the Droid 4 for the 4G....even if i buy the D4 outright in Jan....upgrading to 4G costs me my unlimited....

Soooo....what if I bought a cheaper 4G phone (Droid Charge)...tough that out until the D4 prices come down.....

I.....errr.....guess.....dammit, after typing this out i see the holes in this strategy....Total cost to do 2 diff upgrades whole price prob arent worth keeping the unlimited....:blink: