Strange battery thing

jplemt

Reaction score
Just got the Turbo 2 a couple of days ago, let it run down to about 3%, plugged it in to the oem charger, it charged to 100% in about 15 minutes. It continues to show charging even though it was 100%. Unplugged it, dropped to 0% and turned off in about 4 minutes. Restarted and it was at 91%. Anyone else experienced weird battery things like this?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Nope. Very surprised that it would charge to 100% in 15 minutes. Also, not good to let it run down so far.

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Try fully charging it to 100% (or for several hours) while the phone is turned off. Do this for two charging cycles. Sounds like the battery meter needs to be re-calibrated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
jplemt

jplemt

Reaction score
I was trying to do a couple of full cycles to stabilize things. Apparently it's still unstable. But it's leveled out to a normal discharge level now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Full cycles are not necessary on a lithium ion battery and may actually do more harm than good. For optimal performance and battery life, many experts recommend keeping the battery level between 50-80%. Obviously, that doesn't really work in the real world, but it's better for the longevity of the battery if you top it off from time to time than if you let it get really low consistently.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
JK, what about to re-calibrate the meter that reads the state of charge (software that gives you battery %age info)? Not sure about newer phones but older ones (a few years ago), if it seemed that your phone was not accurately reporting your battery percentage, you could reset (recalibrate it) by charging to 100% while phone was off. It's only purpose was to give you an accurate battery reading but did nothing for battery function.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
JK, what about to re-calibrate the meter that reads the state of charge (software that gives you battery %age info)? Not sure about newer phones but older ones (a few years ago), if it seemed that your phone was not accurately reporting your battery percentage, you could reset (recalibrate it) by charging to 100% while phone was off. It's only purpose was to give you an accurate battery reading but did nothing for battery function.

I believe that still works, but I'm no expert. I just like to quote them. I'd like to think the software has gotten better. Been years since I saw that exclamation point in my battery meter. Haha

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Everything I have ever read about the Turbo and Turbo 2 states to let it charge to 100% while turned off, and leave it charging for several more hours. Use the Phone for a while and then repeat. That is supposed to help reset the charge indicator. But like others, I am no expert. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently though.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm no expert either. And gee, I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently either. Darn!

Last edited:
OP
jplemt

jplemt

Reaction score
I guess I always thought the first few charge cycles had to be complete cycles from 0-100.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess I always thought the first few charge cycles had to be complete cycles from 0-100.

That hasn't actually been necessary for several years, but that used to be the case with older battery tech.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Seems I read an article on some phones have just this issue with reporting actual battery percentage... I can't find the article now nor do I remember what manufacturer it was.....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
To recalibrate the meter for the t2 its like the t1 charge it to 100% with its supplied charger..let it stay plugged in for several hours (3 is my guess) and it will calibrate..

My turbo has actually been plugged in and reached 100% and then started showing less..97,95,93% and then climbed back up..that's the only issue I've had.

Last edited: