Storing Data Online

ugadawgs23

Reaction score
I've been looking for an app that lets me store contacts online so when I wipe my data for a new ROM, I can quickly sign in and restore everything. However, I have been using Lookout, and when I transfer my contacts to the website, it creates around 5 copies of every contact. Anyone know of a way to fix this, or an app that dosn't do this? Thanks.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you considered using Google mail. It stores your contacts and after you wipe and log back in it automatically restores your contacts. You Droid and Gmail work very very well together.

Mike

OP
U

ugadawgs23

Reaction score
Have you considered using Google mail. It stores your contacts and after you wipe and log back in it automatically restores your contacts. You Droid and Gmail work very very well together.

Mike

Yes, I used that to update my contacts this go around. For some reason, I only have twenty of them, though. I have around 70 contacts in all, but 370 listed because it makes copies of them for some reason. I'm sick of going in and deleting four of every contact if that makes sense. For instance..it will list like:

Mom
Mom
Mom
Mom
Mom
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
Mark
etc... I don't want to have all those extra copies of them.

OP
U

ugadawgs23

Reaction score
I'm sure it's not supposed to but for some reason mine is like that.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you using multiple accounts? If so you may want to move everything to Google or sync. I believe the syncing requires you to manually make each contact.

Hookbill has lots of posts on this so do a search on his posts.

Mike

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Gmail does that?

Happend once to me, don't know what caused it. Logged in to gmail on PC, made changes, resyncd with phone, never happened again, and I do full wipes all the time.

Hiroller173

Reaction score
Haven't had exactly that happen, but I've been working to understand how contacts work between gmail and my droid, and there is a function in gmail that will identify and remove duplicates. I aIso learned that if you categorize your contacts in gmail, you can determine (on the droid in the account settings area) which categories will be shown on your phone.

If you keep fooling around with your contacts in gmail (and use the export/import functions to create and restore backups) you'll eventually get it straightened out.

OP
U

ugadawgs23

Reaction score
Ok, I just ended up going through and deleting the duplicates manually. Took awhile but whatever.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Ok, I just ended up going through and deleting the duplicates manually. Took awhile but whatever.

It's easier doing that on the PC. Or or that where you cleaned it up?

bje1982

Reaction score
If you use gmail just sign on on your comp and go to contacts and hit the "find duplicates" button..