Stock phone app

Anomander

Reaction score
On the stock phone app when I go to a contact that has multiple numbers Home, Cell, Work) under the favorites tab it will ask me for a default which I hate to set, since you don't always call the default number. Yet if you do not set a default number it will keep asking you a question to set as default or just once. Anyone know an option to disable that? With 4.4.2 it seems to work fine but the kitkat phone app seems to add an extra button push when we don't need it.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. When I first posted I got an error and it looked like the post never went up.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not really aware of a fix for this. I tend to use one number for my contacts (usually cell), though I can see where it'd be handy to not have it set for some people that you call at their work number during the day, home phone in the evening, and cell during the weekend.

Still, if there's a number you call more often for someone, why not set that as default? It's not like it'd be that hard to go into the contacts app and use a different number on a more rare occasion.

Are there still quick contact widgets? I never used them, but it might be handy to put one or more of them on a homescreen for someone who's got 2 (or more) numbers that you call with the same amount of frequency. Assuming you can select which number to use with such a widget. If you can't, I'm sure there's an option in the Play Store.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
A widget is as possibility, but was curious if I was missing a setting that just needed a check.

It's weird seeing a few apps I use all the time get minor tweaks and I'm not sure if it is the move from going from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 such as go sms pro that used to only show contacts mobile number but will now show multiple numbers for users, or it being the change from phone to phone?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
A widget is as possibility, but was curious if I was missing a setting that just needed a check.

It's weird seeing a few apps I use all the time get minor tweaks and I'm not sure if it is the move from going from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 such as go sms pro that used to only show contacts mobile number but will now show multiple numbers for users, or it being the change from phone to phone?
Tough to say. Could be one or all of those scenarios. Just part of the fun of upgrading your phone. There'll always be a few things that you miss about the old one, but I'm personally experiencing WAY more that I love about the device over the s4. Could be that the phone hands off contact info slightly different to go sms so that go doesn't see the difference in the numbers, or it could be a tweak on go's end. Does seem kinda weird that an sms app would pull numbers that aren't listed as mobile though.

Like I said, not sure if there's a better way or a setting. I actually use about an average of 28 minutes a month, so I don't spend a lot of time with the phone app. Haha

Maybe someone else will have some better advice than a widget/etc.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
Yea. I'm loving the note 4 as well over the S4. I'm impressed with how well the stylus works with swyping!

I know at one point there was an option that on a sms app it would only display mobile numbers, though can't recall if it was go sms or another before iv switched to go sms.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use hangouts for sms. I just checked. It shows all numbers as well.

I would say that maybe they do that in case you save a contact wrong, but this phone defaults to saving a new number as mobile from what I've seen, so you're more likely to save a number as movie that isn't than you are to save someone's cell as home or work.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if All numbers is a kitkat default and developers haven't put an option in to toggle.