Stock Liberty 2.0.1 to CyanogenMod CM7

troutbeck27

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been running stock Liberty on my D2 since I think like October of last year (1.5 then 2.0.1).

Anyhow I am considering switching to CM7 and before I did that wanted to get peoples opinions as to which ROM you think is better.

Also if I understand/read things correctly I will need to SBF (which I have never messed with) back to stock Froyo. I think I can do this using the new TBH SBF. If so, will this remove all traces of Liberty?

Then I would need to download ROM Manager too, then reroot and basically start from scratch with all the other mods I have made to my phone.

Thanks.

Troutbeck

McClelland21

Reaction score
Dont forget to clear cache, and data before you sbf back stock or else it will bootloop

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been running stock Liberty on my D2 since I think like October of last year (1.5 then 2.0.1).

Anyhow I am considering switching to CM7 and before I did that wanted to get peoples opinions as to which ROM you think is better.

Also if I understand/read things correctly I will need to SBF (which I have never messed with) back to stock Froyo. I think I can do this using the new TBH SBF. If so, will this remove all traces of Liberty?

Then I would need to download ROM Manager too, then reroot and basically start from scratch with all the other mods I have made to my phone.

Thanks.

Troutbeck

SBF puts you back to fully stock, Liberty (or any ROM) would be completely gone.

After SBF, clear cache/data and reboot, and skip signing into your google account on your phone.

Then root, install ROM Manager (I keep a ROM Manager apk on my SD card at all times, or you can get it from the market, but you really don't want to sign into the market at that point and start your apps restoring), flash recovery from ROM Manger, install D2 bootstrapper, bootstrap into Recovery, wipe data/factory reset, format /System, and flash CM4D2 and Google Apps (gapps). Then boot up and sign in and let your apps restore.

Uninstall D2 Bootstrapper at that point - if you ever use it on CM4D2 you'll lock up and have to start all over again at the Froyo SBF.

You can get Gapps zip from here (goo-inside.me - gapps downloads) - put it on your SD card along w/CM4D2 so you can flash both from Recovery at the same time - CM4D2, then Gapps, then reboot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Uninstall D2 Bootstrapper at that point - if you ever use it on CM4D2 you'll lock up and have to start all over again at the Froyo SBF.

I'm pretty sure the D2 Bootstrapper will no longer be there at this point.

Reaction score
Redflea (or anyone else), do you know for a fact that formatting system and wiping data+cache between CM7 nightlies (or between ROMs on the same kernel, for that matter) is as good as SBF-ing, re-rooting, and doing the whole shebang?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Redflea (or anyone else), do you know for a fact that formatting system and wiping data+cache between CM7 nightlies (or between ROMs on the same kernel, for that matter) is as good as SBF-ing, re-rooting, and doing the whole shebang?

You should not have to SBF between nightlies unless you have a general issue/defect that you are trying to solve and wiping/formatting and reinstalling doesn't do it. Many people just load nightlies over previous builds w/out even wiping (except for wiping Cache) - I generally do that if I'm not defect hunting.

SBF (w/the Froyo SBF) is different than wiping/formatting, in that SBF will return you to fully stock unrooted Froyo (including the Froyo kernel) as released by VZW on the phone when it was new. You are going back to how the phone was out of the box.

Wiping/formatting only removes all your apps/data/settings and clears all files out of the /System folder.

Last edited:

ronlsjr

Reaction score
Wipe Dalvik catch. You don't have to wipe data.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
T

troutbeck27

Reaction score
OK I have been reading up on this today and am a little confused by the replies that I have gotten and what I am reading.

I am still running Android Version 2.2.1 (Froyo) and never made the jump to 2.3 (Gingerbread, wasn't a big fan of it from what I read).

Anyhow has anyone actually flashed from Liberty 2.0 to CM7 and would be willing to provide a write up (detailing each step)? I really don't want to screw up my phone.

Thanks.

Reaction score
OK I have been reading up on this today and am a little confused by the replies that I have gotten and what I am reading.

I am still running Android Version 2.2.1 (Froyo) and never made the jump to 2.3 (Gingerbread, wasn't a big fan of it from what I read).

Anyhow has anyone actually flashed from Liberty 2.0 to CM7 and would be willing to provide a write up (detailing each step)? I really don't want to screw up my phone.

Thanks.

Redflea posted a pretty comprehensive set of instructions just a few posts up. You don't have to uninstall Droid 2 Bootstrap after flashing CM7, as he suggested (there's nothing to uninstall) but everything else is exactly as you should do.