STOCK droid x BRICKED after 1st recharge

DSHman

Reaction score
My wife and I have just upgraded our phones. We purchased a droid x for her for Christmas (belated) two days ago. The day she got her phone, my wife was playing around with it, setting up her calanders, email, contacts and so forth. Basic stuff, no updates, no "gobbledy gook techy geekery." as she would call it. (She's so not a geek like me.) The battery nearly ran out once, so she charged it. Then used it until the battery completly went dead. She plugged it into a car charger and a green LED illuminated. She tried to turn on her phone... nothing. We charged it overnight with the regular DC wall charger, or thought we did. The next day (which was yesterday) tried turning it on... nothing. I removed the battery, which was cool or room temperature (weird for a battery that's been charging) for several minutes and then reinserted it. Tried turning it on... nothing. Same day. Took it back to the "premium Verizon retailer" (riiight) The manager took a look at it, replaced the battery with a new one and it worked...

...until:
Tonight my Wife and I turned off our phones when we went into a theater. She had a battery warning message (15 percent left) before TURNING IT OFF COMPLETELY. When we got back to the car, we plugged her wall charger into the DC accessery port, and tried turning on the phone... Solid green LED, and nothing more. Tried removing the battery and reinserting it before powering on again.... nothing. Tried removing the battery and plugging in the phone to DC power... nothing. Just the solid green LED light.

Taking it back tomorrow for a replacement. Is this a common problem with the Droid X? can it be fixed without having to replace or refurbish the phone?

This is my wife's first high tech phone and it is very frustrating to have this kind of thing happen. :angry: I'm afraid she will loose what little faith she has in technology. She loves her new phone and is very dissappointed that this is happening. I intend to give that "premium Verizon retailer" a piece of my mind tomorrow first thing. Please let me know what you all think and give me any suggestions for helping my wife trust her new phone and keep the battery in good condition.

All advice is appreciated! Thank you! :biggrin:

Jordan8

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bad phone to me, they should replace it for you. I've not had any of those problems out of mine.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
try leaving it plugged into an outlet overnight and powering it up in the morning.

completely draining the battery is bad from what i hear (never did it before) and i know Droids seem to have some sort of crazy thing going on with them wheen the battery is completely drained.

sorry to hear her first experience with android isn't ogin too well,

OP
D

DSHman

Reaction score
Jordan8 I kinda figured it was some sort of defect that was causing the phone to brick up with a low battery, and not allowing it to charge when it's turned off or something like that. You would think that a company like Motorola would test its phones better before sending them out. I myself have the HTC Droid Incredible and I love the Android OS and all the things that HTC has done with it. It is a brilliant phone. I also like the droid X, it's a bit bulky for me though, another reason I chose the HTC Incredible.

dezymond, I will try charging it overnight tonight before taking it back tormorrow. But my wife was pretty specific: "I want a new phone this time, not a replaced battery." I'm hoping that this defect is not linked to a whole batch of Droid Xs or something. Maybe this is just a fluke.

Thanks for your input, guys. It's nice to know we can come on here with issues and get such quick support.

You all ROCK!:icon_ banana:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
hope it works, if not verizon will repace it, i'm sure of it.

DynoPlast

Reaction score
My wife and I have just upgraded our phones. We purchased a droid x for her for Christmas (belated) two days ago. The day she got her phone, my wife was playing around with it, setting up her calanders, email, contacts and so forth. Basic stuff, no updates, no "gobbledy gook techy geekery." as she would call it. (She's so not a geek like me.) The battery nearly ran out once, so she charged it. Then used it until the battery completly went dead. She plugged it into a car charger and a green LED illuminated. She tried to turn on her phone... nothing. We charged it overnight with the regular DC wall charger, or thought we did. The next day (which was yesterday) tried turning it on... nothing. I removed the battery, which was cool or room temperature (weird for a battery that's been charging) for several minutes and then reinserted it. Tried turning it on... nothing. Same day. Took it back to the "premium Verizon retailer" (riiight) The manager took a look at it, replaced the battery with a new one and it worked...

...until:
Tonight my Wife and I turned off our phones when we went into a theater. She had a battery warning message (15 percent left) before TURNING IT OFF COMPLETELY. When we got back to the car, we plugged her wall charger into the DC accessery port, and tried turning on the phone... Solid green LED, and nothing more. Tried removing the battery and reinserting it before powering on again.... nothing. Tried removing the battery and plugging in the phone to DC power... nothing. Just the solid green LED light.

Taking it back tomorrow for a replacement. Is this a common problem with the Droid X? can it be fixed without having to replace or refurbish the phone?

This is my wife's first high tech phone and it is very frustrating to have this kind of thing happen. :angry: I'm afraid she will loose what little faith she has in technology. She loves her new phone and is very dissappointed that this is happening. I intend to give that "premium Verizon retailer" a piece of my mind tomorrow first thing. Please let me know what you all think and give me any suggestions for helping my wife trust her new phone and keep the battery in good condition.

All advice is appreciated! Thank you! :biggrin:

Was the car charger an official Motorola release or a china knock off?