Still hesitant, need/want more info...

c64whiz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to root, flash, etc my Motorola Droid. I just got the 2.2 FRG01B update OTA but am reading about rooted ROMs and how there is a "virgin" 2.2 ROM that has the phone running even smoother.

However, my biggest fear is trying something and ending up with a bricked phone wasting hundreds of dollars. I've seen a post claiming "It's impossible to brick a droid" but then another post with the statement:

"If you can load up the bootloader (power + d-pad up) then you can flash..."

So I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to screw up the bootloader (power+dpad-up) during a flash of some sort and if so, does that brick my phone?

2) I've read about making Nandroid backups, but it seems I need SPRecovery to do this. To get SPRecovery (with 2.2 per http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html) I need to use RSDLite. But then I'll have SPRecovery on the phone with a 2.2 OS which doesn't work? I'm confused with this.

3) Is it possible to make a "backup" of the phone without SPRecovery?

4) HW issues aside, is it really impossible not to brick this phone? i.e. what is the "lowest level, sure fire" method of getting this phone back up to stock.

My apologies if these questions seem redundant but I hope you understand my concerns. FWIW, I'm very experienced with computers and their OSes (Windows, Linux, Solaris, Cisco IOS, etc) just not experienced with this phone.

Thanks!

--C64Whiz

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have 2 really informative guides in my signature. Read through those. Its not impossible to brick a phone but I personally have only seen 1 on this forum. There are a lot of us here to help you if you get stuck.