Sticker Shock! What were they thinking?

PaulQ

Reaction score
I was at my local Verizon store today playing with the Tab. I was blown away by the price! $600!!!! @E#*(@*!~!!!

It's smaller than the iPad. Yes it has 3g. But why aren't they coming in with a noticeably lower price to draw people away from the iPad??

And that's $600 plus some sort of data plan, I assume??

Yes, kind of a rant but I wonder if someone can help me justify it so no one in my household can shoot down the idea. :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Android vs iOS; front and rear facing cameras; 3G plans as low as $20 a month with no contract; can hold in one hand and still operate; EXPANDABLE memory! Get an iPad 32GB and want 33GB of memory? Sorry, you can delete some stuff or buy a 64GB.

DroidForums junkie!

wsbsteven

Reaction score
Also if you purchased apps like the slingbox app that cost 20-30$ or just lots.of 1-2$ apps you may find yourself saving money going with android by not having to repurchase them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet

OP
P

PaulQ

Reaction score
Ah. Feel better now. :)

Still think both devices are priced out of the reach of the masses but these facts definitely help justify the difference between the pad and the tab.

Thanks!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...OTA software updates! ;)

DroidForums junkie!

tegrevboy

Reaction score
Oh what about Adobe Flash.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums App

Protegé

Reaction score
Yea, I debated for several days whether or not to get the ipad or the tab.

And then I had one of those "duh" moments.

the galaxy tab multitasks, free apps, fits in my pocket, cameras, video cameras...

Plus, If i put this thing in my breast pocket of a jacket, like a heavy coat, it could potentially stop a bullet...the ipad would just be too big to fit there so it doesnt stand a chance to save my life.:icon_ banana:

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Umm, new is always at a premium. If you bought a plasma TV back in 2003 you probably paid over 10 times today's price. I remember my first laptop in the early 90s being seriously underpowered and backlit (not TFT) and it still was $2500. CD player, BluRay, all tech goes through this phase. Even the Kindle is 1/3 what the first ones were already. If the sticker on new toys blows you away, well, just wait. Fortunately for mobile devices the speed of new versions and the decline in prices seems to be much faster than with others, so you might not have to wait so long.

If you're complaining about the price v iPad specifically, and think smaller screen size = cheaper, think again. The size format is one of the major contributors to me choosing my Tab over an iPad. It's similar resolution and much sharper due to the pixel density IMHO. Check out laptops on all platforms, the mid size is usually cheapest, and there's a premium for smaller and larger. iPad is going to be the middle size, and I've never been a fan of the middle.

I love my Tab more than I expected to, and use the hell out of it. It goes wherever I go in a pocket one way or another. What I expect to really, truly love in a year or two or three is a nice 17" or 19" slim tablet. That's when I expect the tablet to catch up and overtake the laptop, which will be dead in the water. I'll still want the "big phone" format for its ability to go everywhere, but I'll love the big touch for real enjoyment of the Intewebz/Cloudz/Apps/Video.