Started off Loving Phone, Now it Does Nothing but Lag & Battery Dies... Help Needed!

M.J.H.

Reaction score
I am not sure WHAT the hell I did to this phone, maybe it is because I rooted the phone? I use the phone's features obviously like the Wifi, and Launcher Pro and Handcent, etc. And of course have some games downloaded and a few other applications that I have on my previous Blackberry Bold.

But lately I will used Advanced Task Killer and kill a few apps and then have about 100M memory remaining. But the letters when I am typing won't even appear on the screen or keep up with my typing. The text messages take sometimes 4-5 seconds to load, it is just really been LAGGING. I am tempted to trade it in for the Droid X that a good friend of mine has because I am almost ready to throw it across the room at times!

I use a weather application with the flip clock, I use Gmail of course, a battery application, Advanced Task Killer, basically all of the Droid applications that I have ran in the past, etc.

So in a nutshell the problems are:

1. The battery life drains from 100% to 40% literally in a few hours of minimal usage. Not from heavy browsing or from talking on the phone for that few hours - just checking the text messages every few minutes, etc. I was okay having a sh-tty battery life phone for all of the features but having to connect it to the charger literally 4-5 times throughout the day seems absurd.

2. The sluggish and lagging operating system. Maybe there is a memory setting that I have wrong or something along those lines - but I am not sure why the phone has slowed down so much since I first activated it just a week ago. The phone's physical keyboard always kept up, Handcent never was a black screen for 5-6 seconds before displaying the texts, etc.

EXAMPLE: just tried sending a picture message to a friend... I typed my friend Crystal's name in the To: field and counted 11 seconds until it finally appeared with her name in my contact list to select. Why the 11-second delay?????

Any thoughts or am I forced, again, to go back to Blackberry. :(-

Last edited:

jhalsey205

Reaction score
I posted this in a specific thread on battery life (here), the net of which is that I made a number of tweaks resulting in improved performance and battery life:

-added the extended battery
-turned off global roaming
-used SetCPU to scale my CPU to 300 when the screen is off
-installed Auto Memory Manager - set to aggressive
-frozen or deleted stuff (via titanium backup) i never use

The list of stuff i killed (discussed in the same thread)
-Magic Smoke Wallpapers
-Sound Recorder
-Live Wallpaper Picker
-City ID
-News and Weather
-Yahoo Contacts
-News
-3G Mobile Hotspot
-Home scree tips
-Stickie Note
-Voicemail
-Skype mobile
-VZ Navigator
-weather
-voice command
-social sharing
-social networking
-social status
-backup assistant

jimbo11mcm

Reaction score
Try a battery pull...but

You rooted your device and now it isn't working properly. Unless you get everything right, that's the price you have to pay. Don't complain about the phone. A lot of us like it and haven't rooted it.

ayce

Reaction score
what is your screen display settings set to?

I posted this in a specific thread on battery life (here), the net of which is that I made a number of tweaks resulting in improved performance and battery life:

-added the extended battery
-turned off global roaming
-used SetCPU to scale my CPU to 300 when the screen is off
-installed Auto Memory Manager - set to aggressive
-frozen or deleted stuff (via titanium backup) i never use

The list of stuff i killed (discussed in the same thread)
-Magic Smoke Wallpapers
-Sound Recorder
-Live Wallpaper Picker
-City ID
-News and Weather
-Yahoo Contacts
-News
-3G Mobile Hotspot
-Home scree tips
-Stickie Note
-Voicemail
-Skype mobile
-VZ Navigator
-weather
-voice command
-social sharing
-social networking
-social status
-backup assistant

flash24

Reaction score
Right out of the box settings needs to be modified. I did a lot of changing my self and finally getting good battery life. I also purchased an extended battery from verizonwireless.com

Droids

Reaction score
The first thing to do is uninstall advanced task killer. This is not BB, you don't need it and it can actually slow down your phone. You may need other tweaks but start by ditching atk.

OP
M

M.J.H.

Reaction score
Jhalsey- thanks for the great respponse and everyone who responded I have already made small adjustments that make me want to keep it over my Blackberry anyway thank god. I unrooted the phone and removed ATK which immediately helped following up with a battery pull.

Anyway are SETCPU and Auto Memory Manager both apps I can download free in the Markey? And also how do you delete specific apps? Also how do you turn off global roaming? Lastly, does the extended battery happen to work or fit I should say with the Verizon shell/holster?

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Anyway are SETCPU and Auto Memory Manager both apps I can download free in the Markey? And also how do you delete specific apps? Also how do you turn off global roaming? Lastly, does the extended battery happen to work or fit I should say with the Verizon shell/holster?

Both SetCPU and Auto Memory Manager require root access; some will end up costing a few bucks:

• SetCPU costs $2. Someone posted a tutorial here
  • Auto Memory Manager has a has a free or paid version. You might also AutoKiller - which is free and does the same thing
  • Titanium Backup has a free and paid version. The paid/pro version is $5.75 (and worth every penny). This is what I (and others) use to freeze or uninstall apps. Tread carefully here. Backup everything first. Don't mess with any of the Moto Blur stuff. Several members have posted things they have successful uninstalled and/frozen. Use that as a reference point. I recommend to "freeze" first, then when feeling confident, you can try uninstalling.

By the way, this topic is addressed several places in this forum and others (here).

Last edited:
OP
M

M.J.H.

Reaction score
How do you set your contacts to only show your phone contacts for whatever reason my contacts have about twelve hundred because it is including my Facebook friends. Now I see why it is taking so long to load up a specific contact!

Also- I may go ahead and re-root the phone even though I swear it seems to be running better after I unrooted it but it could be all in my head.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
How do you set your contacts to only show your phone contacts for whatever reason my contacts have about twelve hundred because it is including my Facebook friends. Now I see why it is taking so long to load up a specific contact! ...

I use DialerOne as my default dialer. Its free and in the market (and the best dialer IMHO). It always you to display phone contacts only.

...I may go ahead and re-root the phone even though I swear it seems to be running better after I unrooted it but it could be all in my head.

Rooting the phone will not have any impact on performance. It simply opens the phone up to additional "root only" apps and system tweaks.

bwhite757

Reaction score
Rooting the phone will not have any impact on performance. It simply opens the phone up to additional "root only" apps and system tweaks.

I want to second this too. Rooting the phone literally does NOTHING to the performance of the phone. In most cases you have to Root to get rid of the bloat that's making the performance suffer.

Don't just be throwing statements out there like, "That's the price you pay for rooting, us non-rooted users are just fine..." I will agree that there is risk in rooting some devices, mainly the ways in which you are attacking the phone to obtain Root access, but once obtained, basically all you get is super user privileges. There are plenty of us here "Rooted" users that are enjoying our phones more than those "Non-Rooted" users....

To each their own though. I won't dog on anyone's decision to do anything to their phone. You paid the $$$ for it, do whatever you want with it. Just don't go around spreading false truths that you really don't know anything about.

Now back to the OP;
I would also recommend jhalsey205's post on here (Post #2). Another thing I would suggest would be to download Launcher Pro for the home screen replacement as I personally feel the Blur home is sluggish. Handcent SMS is also a good alternative messaging app to the stock that I would recommend.

Root the phone, get rid of the bloat, and condition the battery. All phones (Especially Android's) have what I call a battery "Burn-in" phase. It's where the phone learns the characteristics of the battery that has been placed in it, and eventually the time it takes to discharge fully gets longer and longer. Usually after a weeks time with an Android phone, I'm averaging 4-5 hours more battery life than out of the box.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
... Another thing I would suggest would be to download Launcher Pro for the home screen replacement as I personally feel the Blur home is sluggish. Handcent SMS is also a good alternative messaging app to the stock that I would recommend.

Big thumbs up for Launcher Pro here. My replacements apps include:
Dialer -- DialerOne
Launcher -- LauncherPro
SMS -- Handcent
Email -- K9 Mail
Calendar - PocketInformant (beta)