Sprint is Going to 'Disrupt' The Wireless Industry?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I've been with Verizon for a long time and plan to move on soon ... I've not given Sprint any consideration for 2 reasons: 1 - their coverage isn't great in my area and, 2 - they're CDMA, as @grenefroggie already pointed out, this limits phone choices (and I'm sick of a Nexus device not being an option for me! Even if big red (by some miracle) decided to carry another Nexus device, I wouldn't touch it after that abomination that was the Galaxy Nexus!).
So, while I am more than happy to see another carrier try to woo consumers, I just hope it creates more competition! T-Mobile is my first choice for my next carrier, so hopefully whatever Sprint does T-Mobile will decided to match it or, even better, best it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been with Verizon for a long time and plan to move on soon ... I've not given Sprint any consideration for 2 reasons: 1 - their coverage isn't great in my area and, 2 - they're CDMA, as @grenefroggie already pointed out, this limits phone choices (and I'm sick of a Nexus device not being an option for me! Even if big red (by some miracle) decided to carry another Nexus device, I wouldn't touch it after that abomination that was the Galaxy Nexus!).
So, while I am more than happy to see another carrier try to woo consumers, I just hope it creates more competition! T-Mobile is my first choice for my next carrier, so hopefully whatever Sprint does T-Mobile will decided to match it or, even better, best it

It won't create competition with Verizon, though. Sprint, nor T-Mobile, can touch Verizon, and I wouldn't imagine Verizon is worried.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It won't create competition with Verizon, though. Sprint, nor T-Mobile, can touch Verizon, and I wouldn't imagine Verizon is worried.

This. T-Mo has mostly been hurting Sprint and AT&T. VZW in Q1 reported 4.4% year-over-year subscriber growth....or an increase of over 4M subscribers in 1 year.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
They don't let newbies post

Even if big red (by some miracle) decided to carry another Nexus device, I wouldn't touch it after that abomination that was the Galaxy Nexus!).

I don't think the decision lies with Verizon, Yank. We should be clear that Google chose not to offer Nexus phones to Verizon after they (VZ) totally screwed up the launch of Google's flag ship, and supported the launch with a non-existent advertising budget. Net result, Google no longer does Verizon CDMA phones. They (VZ) have only themselves to blame.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com

I didn't think it would ... But as Verizon becomes more and more arrogantly confident the more I grow tired of their antics!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I don't think the decision lies with Verizon, Yank. We should be clear that Google chose not to offer Nexus phones to Verizon after they (VZ) totally screwed up the launch of Google's flag ship, and supported the launch with a non-existent advertising budget. Net result, Google no longer does Verizon CDMA phones. They (VZ) have only themselves to blame.

Good point UD!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That being said, Google rarely if ever hypes their Nexus devices....so I don't think the blame, in this instance, lands all on Verizon's shoulders. That and the Verizon branded Nexus device was a piece of crap imo. Oh well, it is what it is.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That being said, Google rarely if ever hypes their Nexus devices....so I don't think the blame, in this instance, lands all on Verizon's shoulders. That and the Verizon branded Nexus device was a piece of crap imo. Oh well, it is what it is.
But you gotta admit, at the time Google could've put the name Nexus on a dog turd and sold half a million units.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Mine still works fine, but then it's GSM. ;)

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I didn't think it would ... But as Verizon becomes more and more arrogantly confident the more I grow tired of their antics!

We all do, believe me. Their own forum is full of unhappy folks, and the majority of them complain, but still fork over the dime each month. I've tried going without a phone at all, but I would rather pay for lackluster service than not have it at all.

jtcsifl

Reaction score
I'm with VZW because of their coverage. I don't like some of their practices but until someone equals or surpasses their coverage I'll stay. As long as they're growing customers at the rate they do with current pricing/practices they don't/won't participate in a pricing war. T-Mo plans with VZW coverage.... Where are you?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
2 - they're CDMA, as @grenefroggie already pointed out, this limits phone choices (and I'm sick of a Nexus device not being an option for me! Even if big red (by some miracle) decided to carry another Nexus device, I wouldn't touch it after that abomination that was the Galaxy Nexus!).

While I agree with your assessment regarding phone choice, I disagree it has to do with CDMA being a hindrance getting Nexus devices.

The Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 5 was released to Sprint; and from what I hear, those users did/do get timely updates to the OS.

But phone choice will matter more in the future, especially for power users. While I enjoy my Moto X, it being a primarily CDMA Verizon phone, is a major PITA.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Most people hear CDMA is bad. Most people do not understand why. Try living in an area where VZW LTE does not exist.