Sprint Instructing OEMs to Remove Carrier IQ From Phones in Future Software Updates

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
carrier.jpeg

It’s been a while since Carrier IQ’s name was in the news. If you don’t remember, their software delivers certain information back to carriers for the supposed sole purpose of helping improve their service. Developer Trevor Eckhart exposed that their application may be doing more than just sending cellular data to carriers.

But fast forward to now and at least one of the “perpetrating” carriers look to take their name out of the tainted hat. Sprint has reportedly instructed all their OEM partners to remove Carrier IQ from their phones’ ROMs in future updates. This was confirmed by HTC who said Sprint did indeed ask them to remove the software from the HTC EVO 3D in a recent update.

While we still don’t know if Carrier IQ is involved in foulplay it’s comforting to know that Sprint users won’t have to deal with it either way. Expect more phones to get this excellent treatment sometime soon.

SOURCE: Sprint removing Carrier IQ starting this month, confirms HTC | The Verge

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
My older brother over the past few months really wanted to upgrade to a smart phone. What held him back was all the privacy and tracking that goes on with the phones. Last month he finally got himself a Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G (what a mouth full), and does he love it. He was telling me how picky he is with what apps he downloads. Always looking at the permissions to make sure they meet with his approval, and how he's refused to install apps, because they access something he doesn't want it to.

God I didn't have the heart to tell him that his phone has Carrier IQ on it.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My older brother over the past few months really wanted to upgrade to a smart phone. What held him back was all the privacy and tracking that goes on with the phones. Last month he finally got himself a Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G (what a mouth full), and does he love it. He was telling me how picky he is with what apps he downloads. Always looking at the permissions to make sure they meet with his approval, and how he's refused to install apps, because they access something he doesn't want it to.

God I didn't have the heart to tell him that his phone has Carrier IQ on it.

You should let him know LMAO jk.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums