Sprint Drops Tethering From All-You-Can-Eat 4G Buffet

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Sprint's big battle cry entering into the iPhone 4S era is, "We have true unlimited data; the other guys don't!" That's a definite advantage in the
smartphone
wars, but can Sprint sustain an unlimited business model with all the new traffic Apple's iPhone will bring to its network? That's a good question and one that's made even more interesting to speculate after Sprint just announced changes to its mobile broadband plan and
mobile hotspot
add-on.

"If you have a mobile broadband device such as a tablet, netbook, notebook, USB card, connection card or Mobile Hotspot device, effective beginning with your next bill following notification, your on-network monthly data allowance will no longer include unlimited 4G," Sprint said in a statement.

Sprint_Charges.gif

Source: Sprint

Starting in November, Sprint will begin outfitting its subscribers with 3GB, 5GB, and 10GB data caps for tethered data, as outlined above. You're still free to go hog wild on your smartphone and watch as much Netflix as you want, you just can't tether your notebook or other device to it and go beyond hard data caps without incurring a penalty.​
Sprint Drops Tethering From All-You-Can-Eat 4G Buffet - HotHardware

akhi216

Reaction score
Sooner or later all carriers' grasp of unlimited data gets distorted. When it happens it results in asterisks next to use of the words unlimited and data in the same sentence and restrictions imposed.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ What he said. Same as Cingular/AT&T a few years ago offering unlimited texting which was actually capped, then not understanding why people were flipping out when they were getting charged overages @ a per text basis.

alboboy10

Reaction score
^ What he said. Same as Cingular/AT&T a few years ago offering unlimited texting which was actually capped, then not understanding why people were flipping out when they were getting charged overages @ a per text basis.

Verizon did the same thing. I had unlimited but when I went over 2000 they told me I needed to have family unlimited. Keep in mind I was the only one who texted.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Always funny how companies believe its okay to have their own definition of a word that means without limit or scope.