split texts over 160

yamaha83

Reaction score
is there a way to make the stock messaging app do this? i use handcent but the only reason is to split texts over 160... it would be nice if i could get rid of it and use the stock one... but i really need this option...

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, why? IMO handscent is superior in more ways than just that. It's so customizable and just plain works.

fuzzym

Reaction score
Just keep on typing. It will break the texts behind the scenes. It will still look like one long text to you but it should break them up as necessary.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just keep on typing. It will break the texts behind the scenes. It will still look like one long text to you but it should break them up as necessary.

Are you saying the stock app will break up after 160 for messages? I didn't think it did that, thought it just cut off after 160... Wish I had another phone to test this now...

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
yeah, you can continue to type past 160 characters, but when you send it to people that aren't on the same service carrier, it will split into multiple messages at the 160 cutoff. Within service providers, in my case Verizon, my wife was able to send me a 640-800 character continuous message from her Droid to mine. It did not break up the message.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, why? IMO handscent is superior in more ways than just that. It's so customizable and just plain works.
Better is always subjective. Even if you don't understand why someone else would use the stock app that doesn't mean that they don't have a valid reason for preferring it. That really applies to any decision -- not just SMS/MMS apps.

...and it's not handscent -- that's the result of a lack of handwashing. :p

Sweettooth

Reaction score
yeah, you can continue to type past 160 characters, but when you send it to people that aren't on the same service carrier, it will split into multiple messages at the 160 cutoff. Within service providers, in my case Verizon, my wife was able to send me a 640-800 character continuous message from her Droid to mine. It did not break up the message.

That can't be right. When I first started texting on the Droid I had no idea about the 160-character limit and got a message telling me that that if the person wasn't with Verizon it'd simply cut the message off. I didn't catch onto it at first and the person would respond back telling me they never got the rest. Is this a fix in 2.1 or are me and the recipients just crazy?

OP
yamaha83

yamaha83

Reaction score

That can't be right. When I first started texting on the Droid I had no idea about the 160-character limit and got a message telling me that that if the person wasn't with Verizon it'd simply cut the message off. I didn't catch onto it at first and the person would respond back telling me they never got the rest. Is this a fix in 2.1 or are me and the recipients just crazy?

I was under the same impression... when I first got my Droid I couldn't text outside of Verizon more then 160 unless I manually split the text...

And the only reason I use handcent is for the splitting feature... I like how the stock app looks and also when I bring in backed up texts after flashing a new ROM the only way to get them to show up in the order they where received is to open the texts with the stock app...

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Better is always subjective. Even if you don't understand why someone else would use the stock app that doesn't mean that they don't have a valid reason for preferring it. That really applies to any decision -- not just SMS/MMS apps.

...and it's not handscent -- that's the result of a lack of handwashing. :p

spit.gif

Yeah, and you know what? I knew that too.

I understand about the what's superior and what's not, I just found nothing good about the stock app. I will say that I didn't devote as much time to it as I have on many apps.

Either way, point taken.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score

whoops, you're right. No more late night contributing for me, lol.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
What really sucks is if you use special characters they seem to count as multiple characters so I kind of feel sorry for Spanish people and whatnot who might be using hyphenated characters because you might only be able to squeeze out a sentence before you reach the limit. Verizon really needs to pull its head out of its ass on that one if no one minds me saying.

ShowTime

Reaction score

whoops, you're right. No more late night contributing for me, lol.

My old LG ENV would do this. Anything over 160 would result in me getting a message saying only the first 160 would be sent. With my Droid I can 100%, undoubtedly say that it does automatically cut messages longer than 160+ characters into multiple messages and sends them that way (albeit, sometimes delivering them out of order). I do it all the time and it always works. Have yet to get the "only 160 characters will be sent" message in 4+ months of texting. It also makes perfect sense. If you can do it in Handcent (which is essentially just a new skin with different functions for the stock messaging app) then obviously Verizon+Droid is capable of doing it.

Last edited:

thecrazing

Reaction score
It isn't the Droid, per se.

First of all, 160+ messages always worked within Verizon. It's to other carriers that used to be the problem. However:

Starting 1/19/2010, You can now send MORE THAN 160 Characters to NON Verizon Customers, How ever you will still get a message that reads. 900080004221: FREE_VZW_MSG: Messages sent to non-VZW customers with graphics/tones/formatting and/or 160+ charaters are sent as plain text in Multiple Messages

Re: SMS 160 charater limit to other carriers. WHY??? - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community