Speed Dial

joelaw73

Reaction score
Is there a way to assign speed dial to your contacts? Like holding down an number key and having it call one of you contacts.

Thanks,
Joe

rjax

Reaction score
Dialer One is an app that will let you do this.

This how you assign speed dials with Dialer One:

Start typing the name of the contact you want to add to speed dial, then long press on the contact you want to add (not the phone icon, but the name), and then when the menu comes up, tap Speed Dial. It'll let you assign anything between 2-99.

To actually dial a two-digit speed dial number, tap the first digit, then long-press the second digit.

By the way, another option that you'll see pops up when you long-press the contact is "Send Contact." That option will send that person's contact info to Gmail, Handcent, etc. for easy forwarding on to someone else.

Last edited:

ShowTime

Reaction score
Or you can set direct dial shortcuts on your homescreen for certain contacts. It's not traditional speed dial, but doesn't require any outside app. Just go to any homescreen you want, long press on it, select Shortcuts, then Direct Dial. Then you just select a contact and a 1 touch call icon will be placed on the homescreen.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or you can set direct dial shortcuts on your homescreen for certain contacts. It's not traditional speed dial, but doesn't require any outside app. Just go to any homescreen you want, long press on it, select Shortcuts, then Direct Dial. Then you just select a contact and a 1 touch call icon will be placed on the homescreen.
Yup, probably the fastest way to dial, hell it's even faster than long pressing a number.

FriendlyPA

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a native phone dialer in MIUI speed dial by long pressing a key??? For example, I want to be able to long press 2 for one of my contacts, 3 for another, etc. I currently use another dialer (there are plenty on the market), but I really like the native phone app, and want to get rid of other dialer if I can.

Thank you

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a native phone dialer in MIUI speed dial by long pressing a key??? For example, I want to be able to long press 2 for one of my contacts, 3 for another, etc. I currently use another dialer (there are plenty on the market), but I really like the native phone app, and want to get rid of other dialer if I can.

Thank you

If anyone knows please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think you can pre-assign individual keys on the Miui dialer to speed dial.

However you can place multiple direct dial shortcuts on your home screen:

Menu> Editing mode> Menu> Add> Shortcuts> Direct dial> choose a contact

I didn’t like having multiple direct dial shortcuts on my home screen. So since I use SwipePad, I assigned each of my direct dial contacts to a SwipePad slot. Now the icons are off the home screen and since they’re programed into SwipePad, I can use them from within any app which is a huge plus.

If you use SwipePad and have already assigned functions to all 12 slots, I highly recommend paying $1.76 to buy MoreSpace: SwipePad add-on. With it you can create additional pads/slots and also name each pad with a title if you want. It’s a dirt cheap investment that is an unmistakable value because of the additional choices in multitasking it offers. Also it’s a painless way to support a great developer.

I’m a big fan of SwipePad.

Using these methods of course means that you won’t actually open the Miui dialer to use an assigned key from it, but the calls are made via the Miui dialer, which means you could get rid of the other dialer.

FriendlyPA

Reaction score

Thank you

If anyone knows please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think you can pre-assign individual keys on the Miui dialer to speed dial.

However you can place multiple direct dial shortcuts on your home screen:

Menu> Editing mode> Menu> Add> Shortcuts> Direct dial> choose a contact

I didn’t like having multiple direct dial shortcuts on my home screen. So since I use SwipePad, I assigned each of my direct dial contacts to a SwipePad slot. Now the icons are off the home screen and since they’re programed into SwipePad, I can use them from within any app which is a huge plus.

If you use SwipePad and have already assigned functions to all 12 slots, I highly recommend paying $1.76 to buy MoreSpace: SwipePad add-on. With it you can create additional pads/slots and also name each pad with a title if you want. It’s a dirt cheap investment that is an unmistakable value because of the additional choices in multitasking it offers. Also it’s a painless way to support a great developer.

I’m a big fan of SwipePad.

Using these methods of course means that you won’t actually open the Miui dialer to use an assigned key from it, but the calls are made via the Miui dialer, which means you could get rid of the other dialer.

I looked at SwipePad. Looks like a great app. But for some reason I can't dial my direct dial shortcuts with swipepad. The app force closes, and I can't fix it and say allow direct dial. Any suggestions???

Reaction score
Hmmm…If you haven’t already, try these:

Place a couple of the direct dial shortcuts on your home screen and try using them to make calls just to make sure they work from there

Rebooting

Uninstalling and reinstalling SwipePad, then programing the slots again with the direct dial shortcuts

Reboot into recovery and wipe cache

If you’re using a theme other than stock, go back to the stock theme and try it

Those are things I can think of for you to try. Also make sure you’re using the latest version of SwipePad from the market, 0.8.7. The previous version had an inability to add an app in Miui which has been fixed in the latest version – even though getting an app to open isn’t your situation. You could also try emailing the developer of SwipePad.

FriendlyPA

Reaction score
Hmmm…If you haven’t already, try these:

Place a couple of the direct dial shortcuts on your home screen and try using them to make calls just to make sure they work from there

Rebooting

Uninstalling and reinstalling SwipePad, then programing the slots again with the direct dial shortcuts

Reboot into recovery and wipe cache

If you’re using a theme other than stock, go back to the stock theme and try it

Those are things I can think of for you to try. Also make sure you’re using the latest version of SwipePad from the market, 0.8.7. The previous version had an inability to add an app in Miui which has been fixed in the latest version – even though getting an app to open isn’t your situation. You could also try emailing the developer of SwipePad.

Thank you for your help. I will try all these things and see what happens.