Special Post on How to Make Progress with the Alleged Low Volume Speaker Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

deek

Reaction score
No way these phones are as loud as the Droid1. I do think after rooting and installing 2.2 the volume has increased quite a bit. Maybe I just got used to the lower volume? Hard to tell at this point, but i would never return this phone for my old Droid under any circumstances.

Where did u get this software???????????? no one seems to know... I want to see if it is louder...

i cant tell if ur joking or not lol if not...go to menu>about phone>system updates...2.2 is ready and being pulled/pushed to droid x :icon_ banana:
btw its not louder...IMO...at all actually. anyone else?

No way is it significantly louder.
It may be slightly louder, but I am not noticing anything.
The ringer on my phone seems comparable to my old phone at roughly 60% maybe? (LG-Dare)

Ideally, I want to be able to leave my phone in one room... While being in another room watching TV at an ample level and hear it ring.

I was hoping the OTA update would solve the problem, but when I saw it wasn't mentioned in the release notes I was figuring it was not going to be updated/fixed.

I do know that the speaker place causes an issue with laying it flat on its back. But, in general, you still think it could be noticeably louder.

thought I recalled some ppl who had a leaked 2.2 version noticed improvements.. Was a fix in progress than changed?

ctfd114

Reaction score
Where did u get this software???????????? no one seems to know... I want to see if it is louder...

i cant tell if ur joking or not lol if not...go to menu>about phone>system updates...2.2 is ready and being pulled/pushed to droid x :icon_ banana:
btw its not louder...IMO...at all actually. anyone else?

No way is it significantly louder.
It may be slightly louder, but I am not noticing anything.
The ringer on my phone seems comparable to my old phone at roughly 60% maybe? (LG-Dare)

Ideally, I want to be able to leave my phone in one room... While being in another room watching TV at an ample level and hear it ring.

I was hoping the OTA update would solve the problem, but when I saw it wasn't mentioned in the release notes I was figuring it was not going to be updated/fixed.

I do know that the speaker place causes an issue with laying it flat on its back. But, in general, you still think it could be noticeably louder.

thought I recalled some ppl who had a leaked 2.2 version noticed improvements.. Was a fix in progress than changed?

Im with ya on that, i should be able to leave me phone in the bedroom at the back of the house and hear my phone ring while im in the living room, like i have been able to on every other phone. My question is, my original droid was perfect..... Why did they have to change anything to do with the speaker and fck it up? As for the update, im noticing little things that im not liking.....text messages out of place, more force closes, etc...

DragonFly1316

Reaction score
COmplete Volume Issue with my DroidX :(

I am so glad (I think) that I am not the only one with this issue, I thought it was the phone (which seems like it would have been an easier fix...just replace it). I received my new DroidX about a month ago. I noticed that I was missing alot of calls and text messages. I thought it was just the ring tone and changed it several times. Then I had to use the alarm and woke up to notice that I never heard it go off... tested it and there was BARELY any volume coming out of it. Took it to a VZW store, the woman tested it and then said she was downloading an update that is usually done in store, but because mine was shipped it wasn't done (OK, they all had to be ordered...the wait time was a couple weeks!!! AND keep in mind that I used to work for VZW myself) She then tested it again and said there you go... I still wasn't satisfied with the volume, but thought it was just me (until now). MIND YOU she also downloaded task killer without telling me or showing me what to do with it....anyway... I have several volume issues... (and YES all settings were checked, and all volumes are at MAX) Games: sometimes the volume is on, sometimes not. Video Playback: sometimes the sound plays, sometimes not. Ringer: SOmetimes it rings and sometimes not. Visual Voicemail speaker, Text messages, alarm and music...all are very random. Just yesterday it all stopped. The volume is either not there at all or you can barely hear t when put up to ear. I am going to help out by going into the VZW store and calling TECH Support as I only have my DroidX to talk on. I am absolutely head over heals for my DroidX, it's the best phone I have seen and used... hopefully we can get this resolved. As for 2.2 "maybe" fixing the issue... I will let you know cause I just updated OTA a few minutes ago YAY! dancedroid

ctfd114

Reaction score
I am so glad (I think) that I am not the only one with this issue, I thought it was the phone (which seems like it would have been an easier fix...just replace it). I received my new DroidX about a month ago. I noticed that I was missing alot of calls and text messages. I thought it was just the ring tone and changed it several times. Then I had to use the alarm and woke up to notice that I never heard it go off... tested it and there was BARELY any volume coming out of it. Took it to a VZW store, the woman tested it and then said she was downloading an update that is usually done in store, but because mine was shipped it wasn't done (OK, they all had to be ordered...the wait time was a couple weeks!!! AND keep in mind that I used to work for VZW myself) She then tested it again and said there you go... I still wasn't satisfied with the volume, but thought it was just me (until now). MIND YOU she also downloaded task killer without telling me or showing me what to do with it....anyway... I have several volume issues... (and YES all settings were checked, and all volumes are at MAX) Games: sometimes the volume is on, sometimes not. Video Playback: sometimes the sound plays, sometimes not. Ringer: SOmetimes it rings and sometimes not. Visual Voicemail speaker, Text messages, alarm and music...all are very random. Just yesterday it all stopped. The volume is either not there at all or you can barely hear t when put up to ear. I am going to help out by going into the VZW store and calling TECH Support as I only have my DroidX to talk on. I am absolutely head over heals for my DroidX, it's the best phone I have seen and used... hopefully we can get this resolved. As for 2.2 "maybe" fixing the issue... I will let you know cause I just updated OTA a few minutes ago YAY! dancedroid

oh it doesnt help...trust me. updated to 2.2 a couple weeks ago and its been nothing but trouble. text msgs are out of place in the inbox, and the volume still isnt fixed.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Its a hardware problem. Smaller speaker in dx then d1. Get used to it or get a different phone.

Sent from my DROIDX

NR6Q

Reaction score
Just a quick note,

I have reported the problem to both Motorola and Verizon.

This is a know issue and upgrading to froyo does help. HOWEVER the Droid X still produces less audio at the speaker output than other models of Droid. The HTC produces about 10 dB more audio. We actually did a test using a calibrated audio file through the media player and the HTC is much better on audio output even after upgrade to Froyo.

Another complaint I have is that ringtones and notifications are not passed to a bluetooth head set nor a wired head set. This is such a simple thing and for some reason it is not offered as an option. This would eliminate much of the issue for me as I could wear a bluetooth device when in a noisy envirnment.

The Froyo upgrade does help but maximum volume levels are still lower than most other phones.

gg

jbkerner

Reaction score
I've had the DroidX for about 6 weeks now, and the low-volume problem I have is NOT hardware: the phone worked fine for about 1.5 weeks. I have a Blue Ant Q1, and when I tell it to go to "Phone commands", it switches over to the Verizon Voice Command program, which responds with, "Say a command". When the problem occurs, there's a 15-20 second delay before it says "Say a command" at almost a whisper. Also, it acts as if the phone can't hear me either, since it frequently misdials. When the call connects, the volume is normal. When I do a factory reset, the voice commands work properly, "Say a command" is loud & clear, and it never misdials. I've done a factory reset now twice, and a simple battery pull does NOT fix the problem. I'm getting tired of doing factory resets, but it doesn't sound (no pun intended) like Motorola is even investigating this. As far as I'm concerned, this problem completely negates the whole purpose of having voice dialing capability.

jbkerner

Reaction score
Captcrash,
Been there, done that. ;-) Actually, it did NOT work the first time I tried it. But, I did a second factory reset, reloaded all my apps, etc. When it happened again, I reinstalled SoundManager (2nd time), and indeed it showed th volume as being turned down. Not sure why it didn't work the first time.

However, as someone pointed out, this is merely a workaround, not a fix. I'm a little ticked at Motorola for not providing a true fix (I shouldn't have to download a 3rd-party app to correct an obvious flaw.)

captcrash

Reaction score
Hmmm

Maybe you should use "audioManager widget" not soundManager. It worked first time without reset and it does add some value to have a widget to adjust all sound settings quickly... However, you point is well taken...

jbkerner

Reaction score
I apologize...

It *IS* "AudioManager widget" I'm using. Sorry about the confusion; It's been a looong week!

grimbergen

Reaction score
I got the AudioManager app and apparently it's showing all my settings were already maxed out, so it hasn't made a difference in making the speakerphone any more usable.

xmguy

Reaction score
I have the Droid 2. Am getting a Droid X as a replacement (FRU). I listen to internet radio on my phone 99% of the time. So loud audio from the speaker is key. Is this been fixed or addressed.

jbkerner

Reaction score
@xmguy:

"Loud audio" is kinda subjective, depending on your hearing. I don't use the speakerphone very often, but on the occasions that I have, it seemed OK to me. Others seem to have a problem with it.

My problem was with low-volume with Voice Command only. The "Say a command" prompt was just a whisper, and there's also this weird 15 second delay, which I've been told is being worked on. There seem to be several volume controls, but I don't think they're all readily available. When I installed AudioManager the second time, I got a mesage saying something like two of my controls were cross-linked, and it asked if I wanted them unlinked (or words to that effect). I told it to unlink them, and I haven't had a low-volume problem since. Still have the delay, but at least it's now usable.

xmguy

Reaction score
"Loud audio" is kinda subjective, depending on your hearing. I don't use the speakerphone very often, but on the occasions that I have, it seemed OK to me. Others seem to have a problem with it.

My problem was with low-volume with Voice Command only. The "Say a command" prompt was just a whisper, and there's also this weird 15 second delay, which I've been told is being worked on. There seem to be several volume controls, but I don't think they're all readily available. When I installed AudioManager the second time, I got a mesage saying something like two of my controls were cross-linked, and it asked if I wanted them unlinked (or words to that effect). I told it to unlink them, and I haven't had a low-volume problem since. Still have the delay, but at least it's now usable.

"Loud audio" as compared to the Droid or Droid 2? Sorry I didn't ask that. I've tried AudioManager. I'll try it on the X. I just want a good clean tone for music playback. I was worried that the slit on the X being smaller than on the Droid 2 and 1 would impede audio or make it muffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.