sound not working sometimes

Tracey4

Reaction score
I had this problem before ICS and the update didn't fix the issue. What will happen is my sound will stop working. It seems like it happens most when smart actions has turned my phone to silent while at work and then the time frame ends and sound is supposed to be on again. Is this a known issue? Only a reboot makes the sound work again. And it's not like the sound shows as being off or on vibrate in the notification bar. Sound will be turned all the way up, but no ringing, notification sounds, or media sounds will come through the speakers. It could also be related to removing the phone from the car dock but I'm not sure.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I just got this issue when I updated to ICS. Play something where the sound isn't working, and while its playing, send yourself a text message.. it will shock the system into working..

Speaker cleaner does this too.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

jdparise

Reaction score
I also had this problem. Every time it happens I go back to the home screen and turn up the ringer volume. With the side buttons and it starts working again.

Lukeb5301

Reaction score
Have this same Issue... Never had a problem before ICS.. Now when playing Youtube or Music etc... I have to mess with the sounds to get it to work.. Very annoying!

thumper300zx

Reaction score
Same here -- can't get WIRELESS TETHER working without a ROM, and once I put on a ROM (AOKP or CM9) I have the sound issue -- not getting notification now. Phone call coming in makes sound, but doesn't change the problem. It does seem to be a text that solves it for me.

OP
T

Tracey4

Reaction score
So i have suspected smart actions to be the culprit of messing up my ringer volume, sound, etc. I just noticed there is an update for the app that says it fixes the issue of ringer volume reverting back to normal. So we will see!

jacobperrin23

Reaction score
I did a factory reset fixed everything remember to back up everything before doing it

Exalted911

Reaction score
I use to have this problem but after I installed the 215 leak it seems to have fix itself. according to verizon there is an update coming soon for our phones. I am guessing its 215. if thats the case the problem is addressed.

njoyjay

Reaction score
I got this phone 3 months back with ICS installed in it in Europe.

i had the issue 2 times now, no sound would play that is supposed to come through the speak e.g speaker phone etc. The first time, pushing the phone volume button to max while on call fixed the sound.

Today, though the trick with volumne did not work, also reboot 2 times did not help. then i decided to lightly pinch the frame just on top of the speaker and the sound started coming although only while i was pinching. it took me a few attempts with different pressure levels before the sound could be permanent on without pinching.

Seems to be hardware issue. anyone having similar experience?

dmwoods

Reaction score
I got this phone 3 months back with ICS installed in it in Europe.

i had the issue 2 times now, no sound would play that is supposed to come through the speak e.g speaker phone etc. The first time, pushing the phone volume button to max while on call fixed the sound.

Today, though the trick with volumne did not work, also reboot 2 times did not help. then i decided to lightly pinch the frame just on top of the speaker and the sound started coming although only while i was pinching. it took me a few attempts with different pressure levels before the sound could be permanent on without pinching.

Seems to be hardware issue. anyone having similar experience?

Try the app named SoundAbout from the Google Play store. It may help it the loose connection is confusing the phone.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Unfortunately this is a hardware defect on some Razr's where pressing that area of the phone closes the connection for it to work but stops when you don't. Chances are it will get worse over time (where pressing that area of the phone will not work). Not all Razr's have that defect, just a few. Your phone is under warranty so I would get a replacement.