Sony Xperia Z2 Camera Actually Beats Every Smartphone; Even the Nokia 808 Pureview

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dxomark-xperia-z2-score-april-2014.png

If you needed proof that Sony is good at making cameras, especially for smartphones, then the new Xperia Z2 might convince you. The folks at DxOMark recently put the phone's camera through the ringer in a battery of tests and it dominated every other smartphone on the planet. It even bested the 41MP Nokia 808 Pureview, which was the previous king of the hill.

xperia-z2-dxomark-chart-winner.jpg

According to their tests, the Xperia Z2 camera scored a combined total of 79 between still shots and video. Interestingly, Sony's predecessor to the Xperia Z2, the Z1 still rules the roost in just the video recording tests. Despite this, the Z2 did remarkably well and its composite score shows just how amazing its still shots are. The only ding the phone's camera had was slightly imperfect white balance, color shading, and flaring as issues. Despite these problems, the testers found they were not too much of a hindrance to the overall excellent image quality.

The camera in the Z2 is remarkably similar to the one found in the Z1 (20.7MP 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor on a F2.0 lens), yet Sony has wrangled improved capabilities from it in this go around. Check out the source link for more details.

Source: DxOMark

dja1980

Reaction score
I need no proof but I wish Verizon would get it some Sony phones one day
Agreed... this is the ONLY thing holding me back from picking up a Sony phone! Especially, now that Motorola has gone to Lenovo... this might be a prime opportunity for Sony to slip in and offer superb build-quality phones to Verizon customers.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I took this seriously until I saw the G2 so far down the list, more less the iPhone in 4th place ahead of the G4.

I call shenanigans.

bluefire7002

Reaction score
I took this seriously until I saw the G2 so far down the list, more less the iPhone in 4th place ahead of the G4.

I call shenanigans.

Yea I heard a lot of good things about that... but at this point might as well wait for the G3. After going on vacation last week I have had enough with the pink tint on my pics and videos (night) from my HTC one.