Sony Takes Their Support of Android Developers to a Whole New Level: Free Loaners

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony_loaner_program.jpg

Sony has been on an absolute "quest" to improve their image with Android developers and the Android community lately, and I do not use that word lightly. To quest for something is to almost obsessively seek it out, and Sony is doing exactly this to continue their new trend of establishing a deeper relationship with developers. From unlocking the bootloaders on their devices to offering detailed instructions to developers on how to best optimize their time while developing for Sony products, they have been actively wooing developers toward Sony products. Now it seems they are taking things to a whole new level. Sony is now offering a program by which Android developers can get a "free loaner" phone to test their projects on. Yes. You read that right. Here's a quote taken straight from the Sony Developer's Blog on the details of the program:

The Device Loaner Program was created with you, the developer, in mind. For the smaller studios and independent developers with limited resources, this is a perfect program to take advantage of. With it, you can immediately borrow an Xperia™ smartphone for up to 30 days. The service is completely free, and initially aimed at the U.S. and Canadian market. If you’re a developer outside of these markets, please be aware that you’ll be paying for international shipping fees, plus applicable customs/duties for your particular destination.

Device Loaner Program product page.

We currently have these models available for you to borrow:
  • Xperia S
  • Xperia arc S
  • Xperia active
  • Xperia PLAY
  • Xperia arc
  • Xperia X10 Mini Pro
  • Xperia X10a
  • Xperia X8
  • LiveView
To register for the Device Loaner program, simply go to the Device Loaner Program home page where you’ll find step-by-step instructions for setting up an account. Inventory is limited, and only one phone or device is allowed per customer, so sign up today and get your order placed as soon as possible. And if there’s an Xperia™ product that you’d like to see added, or have a question about the program, simply leave us a comment at the bottom of this page!

For all of our amazing devs, you can check it out over at the source link below!

Source: SonyMobileBlog

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Kudos to Sony!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I've been a moto fanboy for over six years. If Sony releases a decent phone on vzw I would get it without hesitation.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
anyone thinking sony could very well be the next nexus manufacturer (or the one after that) Afterall, the nexus phones are supposed to be developer phones, plus google is all for rooting and modding (roms/kernels/themes/etc), and now with sony going all out for developers it seems like a perfect combo

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
anyone thinking sony could very well be the next nexus manufacturer (or the one after that) Afterall, the nexus phones are supposed to be developer phones, plus google is all for rooting and modding (roms/kernels/themes/etc), and now with sony going all out for developers it seems like a perfect combo

Didn't Google originally go to Sony Ericsson for the first NEXUS?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

52brandon

Reaction score
wow. Good for sony. I love that sony is using this business model. Now if only they can get to the forefront of the hardware and I'll be a sony guy

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this is nice to see . i not a dev but i might support sony in future if they release a high end smart phone

Natey2

Reaction score
Wow! I can do root level things without needing to hack/root my phone? Where do I sign up? I know I had a copy of the Android SDK and my eclipse IDE somewhere around here... :)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

dja1980

Reaction score
Wow, good for Sony! Sony is definitely setting the bar higher for other manufacturers to live up to!!!

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Exactly the reason Sony is on my radar for my next device.

Same here. Sony has been making all the right decisions lately when it comes to supporting the development community. Once my two years with the Galaxy Nexus is up, I will definitely be looking towards Sony for my replacement device, if they keep this up.