Sometimes a girl just needs a little help!

nessa23

Reaction score
Motorola Droid X, rooted, .340 updated. Third smart phone. Priors were XV6700 and XV6900. Loved both. Love the Droid X more. Having some frustrations, mostly finding a consistently reliable sync substitution for Mobile Sync. I am on Outlook at work and for privacy reasons in my profession, I will not go through Google Cloud to sync calendar and contacts. This quest has been unresolved and I have tried every third party app out there. All terrible and unreliable.

Also frustrations with updates always screwing something up.

So from time to time, I'll post for help. I often just read the threads to see what's up.
:greendroid:

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
Rooted girl. We love you lol.
Motorola Droid X, rooted, .340 updated. Third smart phone. Priors were XV6700 and XV6900. Loved both. Love the Droid X more. Having some frustrations, mostly finding a consistently reliable sync substitution for Mobile Sync. I am on Outlook at work and for privacy reasons in my profession, I will not go through Google Cloud to sync calendar and contacts. This quest has been unresolved and I have tried every third party app out there. All terrible and unreliable.

Also frustrations with updates always screwing something up.

So from time to time, I'll post for help. I often just read the threads to see what's up.
:greendroid:

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You say Outlook but are you on a exchange server or just needing to sync to the Outlook on your computer? There is a different (and sadly only one) way for both. If you're on an exchange server grab TouchDown (30-day free trail). It's the only exchange app out there that handles all of Outlooks functions (i.e. tasks, calendars contacts) AND supports all major security requirements for most exchange versions (and no K9 doesn't meet the security requirements for those of you temped to req it).

If you're just using Outlook on your PC the only real solution is CompanionLink (until BirdieSync get's off their butts). It's expensive but works well (or did last time I used it, but that was a LONG time ago).

In all honesty though you are being a little paranoid about not going to 'the cloud' for syncing... Google's servers are far more secure than your works servers or even your personal PC and, least of all your phone (which is the weakest of the things in that loop). Best of luck.dancedroid

OP
N

nessa23

Reaction score
KZIWarrior response

No, not using Outlook Exchange Servers, local USB sync. Quite secure. Already tried CompanionLink. It is ok, but there are A LOT of issues. Most recently and for about 3 weeks now, none of my reminders will notify unless the DejaOffice calendar is actively opened. Missed or was late for some rather important things. Not very helpful!

Google servers may be fairly secure from outside intrusion but that is not my concern. My concern is actually Google itself. They are infamous for harvesting data. Need I say more? (There are many in my same situation and profession who refuse to use Google for the same reason. I know I am hardly alone.)

I was using MS ActiveSync (for mobile by USB local sync only) before and it was fabulous and I felt that my information was as secure as I could make it.

Also, my calendar changes sometimes a dozen times a day and I have to sync regularly throughout the day to keep up to date. I depend on my phone signaling me for new events. There seems to be no reliable resource out there for this.

My biggest concern is this force to Google. I can continue use CompanionLink or MyPhoneExplorer to sync just fine to the native calendar and live with the faults there but that information will not STAY in the native calendar unless I allow the sync. The native calendar eventually self-selects the google sync and because nothing is in my google calendar to sync, everything in my calendar disappears. Same thing will happen with CompanionLink if I try to sync to native calendar.

I want to just delete the native calendar but even with superuser permission I cannot do it.

Just frustrated . . .:icon_evil:

Maybe the paper calendar will be coming back . . . :icon_evil:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google servers may be fairly secure from outside intrusion but that is not my concern. My concern is actually Google itself. They are infamous for harvesting data. Need I say more? (There are many in my same situation and profession who refuse to use Google for the same reason. I know I am hardly alone.)

[]
I want to just delete the native calendar but even with superuser permission I cannot do it.

Just frustrated . . .:icon_evil:

Maybe the paper calendar will be coming back . . . :icon_evil:

Edit: oh, and welcome!:icon_ banana:

Not really any better options out there for you. Have you looked into the new WinMo7 lineup?

No your not alone, I actually have a friend that refuses to use Google for that reason... my response is do you not realize that EVERYONE (i.e. your ISP, VZW, M$ ect) is 'harvesting' the same data?? Do you really think ANYONE allows you to use an bandwidth w/o that usage being collected for one reason or another? What do you think is behind Bing's so-called 'intuitive' result sorting? At least Google is somewhat open about it and allows you to minimize it (under settings in your Google account, something a lot of people don't realize).

What I find really funny is that people so concerned with Google's evil 'data harvesting' choose to use an OS made by said company:icon_eek: there was a lot of discussion about that when this thread first launched, lol.

Just to lighten the mood (and give a bright glimpse of things to come:icon_ banana:):
[video=youtube;hrontojPWEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrontojPWEE[/video]

OP
N

nessa23

Reaction score
THAT was funny! I'm sure google knows it, too, now. I keep hope alive for a solution to my problems and acknowledge that every empire has its evil.:motdroidvert: