Droid X. Unreliable since day 1.

ChadJ55

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get flamed by a lot of you for this post, but I am curious if anyone else if as frustrated as I am with their DX. I bought my X when it first came out and was SO pumped to ditch my Blackberry for a truly 'smart' phone. I use my phone 90% for business (email, web, etc) and 10% or less for other things. Well, for the longest time the phone could never properly receive exchange email on a timely basis. It was totally unpredictable and unreliable. After trying almost everything and waiting through several software updates, I gave up and went with Touchdown. Touchdown was good, but I preferred the simplicity of the native email app. I think it was one of the later Froyo updates that finally fixed the exchange email problem and allowed me to ditch Touchdown. Around this time something went awry with the Yahoo email fetching and my batter would last 1/2 a day with minimal use regardless of teh fetch frequency I set. (Extended battery.) Nice. At some point later, they got that worked out. Now, with Gingerbread, my email's reliability has declined, the phone is slower and the battery life shorter. Gotta love the random restarts and freezing when unlocking as well. Oh, and it's really great when you take a video and for no apparent reason, it does not save properly and cannot be viewed. FWIW, the phone is not rooted and I'm not really interested in going that route just to make it work properly. The phone should work stock, period.

Get your flame throwers ready, guys... A little over a month ago I got the iPad 2. This was my first Apple device and first time navigating their OS. What a world of difference in user friendliness, predictability and most importantly... reliability. Things just plain work. And they work fast. That's what a phone or tablet is supposed to do. I'm not saying that all of Android is bad, nor am I saying that Apple rules all (though my next phone will more likely be the iP5), but whatever the middleware is that Motorola installs on its phones (Blur?) makes for such a terrible user experience. I love that Android allows us to customize so much, but hate when I have to use a custom app to make something work that should have worked out of the box. LED notification is another example. Stupid stuff. Has anyone else here found themself driven away from Android as a result of owning the DX? I check this forum pretty frequently and it just blows my mind how many hoops people have to jump through to make the phone just work. Wondering if I'm on my own island thinking that a functional phone, without rooting or tinkering, is too much to ask.

leftspin

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get flamed by a lot of you for this post, but I am curious if anyone else if as frustrated as I am with their DX. I bought my X when it first came out and was SO pumped to ditch my Blackberry for a truly 'smart' phone. I use my phone 90% for business (email, web, etc) and 10% or less for other things. Well, for the longest time the phone could never properly receive exchange email on a timely basis. It was totally unpredictable and unreliable. After trying almost everything and waiting through several software updates, I gave up and went with Touchdown. Touchdown was good, but I preferred the simplicity of the native email app. I think it was one of the later Froyo updates that finally fixed the exchange email problem and allowed me to ditch Touchdown. Around this time something went awry with the Yahoo email fetching and my batter would last 1/2 a day with minimal use regardless of teh fetch frequency I set. (Extended battery.) Nice. At some point later, they got that worked out. Now, with Gingerbread, my email's reliability has declined, the phone is slower and the battery life shorter. Gotta love the random restarts and freezing when unlocking as well. Oh, and it's really great when you take a video and for no apparent reason, it does not save properly and cannot be viewed. FWIW, the phone is not rooted and I'm not really interested in going that route just to make it work properly. The phone should work stock, period.

Get your flame throwers ready, guys... A little over a month ago I got the iPad 2. This was my first Apple device and first time navigating their OS. What a world of difference in user friendliness, predictability and most importantly... reliability. Things just plain work. And they work fast. That's what a phone or tablet is supposed to do. I'm not saying that all of Android is bad, nor am I saying that Apple rules all (though my next phone will more likely be the iP5), but whatever the middleware is that Motorola installs on its phones (Blur?) makes for such a terrible user experience. I love that Android allows us to customize so much, but hate when I have to use a custom app to make something work that should have worked out of the box. LED notification is another example. Stupid stuff. Has anyone else here found themself driven away from Android as a result of owning the DX? I check this forum pretty frequently and it just blows my mind how many hoops people have to jump through to make the phone just work. Wondering if I'm on my own island thinking that a functional phone, without rooting or tinkering, is too much to ask.

I'm not gonna flame you, I kind of agree to be honest, things should just work for you without you having to change them to make them work. That being said, I do think blur is the reason for your problems. The only time I had those issues were on stock GB, on every custom AOSP ROM I have used, the phone has just worked beautifully. Like you said about the apple products, it just works and works fast. Whether you want to put in the effort to make the phone work the way you want or switch to iOS is your decision

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Androids are phones for geeks although I think that Ice Cream Sandwich will make that less of a true statement.

As far as your specific issues: the stock email app has traditionally been crappy on Android. Luckily, K9 is free and for Exchange users there's Touchdown. If I remember correctly, a free Touchdown license was given to every X user.

As far as crashes and other odd issues on the X, any number of things could be the cause. An app could do it: don't use antivirus, don't use auto task killers, keep an eye on installed apps that run on boot for no reason. Some X users have reported that a factory reset is necessary after the recent updates to fix these odd problems.

Personally, I would never go with an iPhone. Small screen, iTunes, no Adobe Flash...the list goes on. Android isn't perfect but I feel that it allows more freedom. Any problems--and luckily I've only had a few--are usually solved with a quick Google search. Anyway, I hear what you're saying. Android probably isn't for everyone. If you go with Apple then have fun!

jeff0r3

Reaction score
I must say that my wife got a IPhone 4S, and I'm sure there are tons of people that have problems with this and that on it. But I must say, the phone is just flat out awesome. The screen is small, but for some reason, it is perfect to navigate and everything is picture perfect clear. Doubt I'll ever own an IPhone, but after playing around with Siri for a while, it just works. And rather well I might add!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I must say that my wife got a IPhone 4S, and I'm sure there are tons of people that have problems with this and that on it. But I must say, the phone is just flat out awesome. The screen is small, but for some reason, it is perfect to navigate and everything is picture perfect clear. Doubt I'll ever own an IPhone, but after playing around with Siri for a while, it just works. And rather well I might add!

iPhones are pretty slick. Still if I had to list negatives for the 4S:
- battery life issues reported on news sites today
- small screen
- just 3G when LTE phones are coming out
- iTunes necessary/no file system access
- no Adobe Flash
- nonremovable battery
- poor results in drop test
- does not let you install "unapproved" apps without hacking it
- the list doesn't end here...

No phone is perfect, but when you consider that iPhones really do have problems too I don't believe that an X looks bad. There are so many positives. What are the negatives? You basically need to be a nerd to make it run really well! Still, at the end of the day I believe that Android phones are generally superior.

George XX

Reaction score
I used to have occasional email issues with my phone as well. Then I gave myself up fully to google mail and I am so happy I did. After doing that, I can honestly say that my phone just works. I have had zero issues since then.

Natey2

Reaction score
Has anyone else here found themself driven away from Android as a result of owning the DX?

While I'd say my former Windows Mobile 6.x phone was significantly more reliable, I can do more things with my DroidX.
Yes, I have traded in reliability for additional functionality :(
My DroidX is not so unreliable that I'd consider tossing it out the window, and I hope that a future update fixes these issues.
If they don't get it fixed in time, I'll be looking for a (hopefully!) better phone at my next phone/contract upgrade.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk from GetJar

xliderider

Reaction score
If I were in a similar situation, I would format the sd card and do a Factory Data Reset to wipe the device and start out fresh. Actually, I would sbf the phone instead of doing a FDR to really get a fresh start.

A bad file on your sd card, or a corrupted File Allocation Table (FAT), can cause freezing, lag, and the problems you were having with the videos not being playable. It could also account for the problems you were having unlocking the device, as well as the poor battery life.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
The hard wipe seems to be everyones 'fixall' from verizon employees down to forum enthusiasts.....yet all it does fpr sure is make you have to start over resetting everything back up.

My droid x experience at first was disappointing.... it took forever to download apps (i raced my x against my droid2 and i uploaded all 100 apps i had in the time it took dowbload 1 app on my brand new x)

Battery life was horrible on the x and people just dismissed it as 'just a larger screen'

I did a hard reset..... it was a little better. Had to hard reset another time fpr a different issue and it was back to horrible. Hard reset again and it did average again.

Well the screen went out and i got a refurbed droid x and it is absolutely great.

No complaints.....seriously. its blazing fast, battery life is awesome so it tells me my first one had something wrong with it out of the box. I also think bugs were fixed on later models.

O.p. idk, sounds like the same issues....that you simply have an bug heavy original dx.

sent from my droid x while driving.....thank you tapatalk for making this possible

NoBloatware

Reaction score
O.p. idk, sounds like the same issues....that you simply have an bug heavy original dx.

You might be right but I just wanted to mention that I know someone who got the X on day 1 and it's fine. Actually, the were experiencing some reboots and the memory manager app took care of the problem so we haven't even tried a factory reset. Personally, I would go for the factory reset. I would probably even clear system cache partition and factory reset a couple times. Not sure if that is at all necessary though.

valid

Reaction score
I have had my X since they came out. It is rooted with GB and have had NO problems with it. Maybe I got lucky. I would call me a light to medium user of the X. Been thinking about getting the new Nexus but the X is still going strong.