some advice before i buy ...

zero7404

Reaction score
i want to get my wife a tablet ... its either this or the ipad...
she is a teacher and could use apps that will let her make up documents with equations (aka- tests) ... and possibly print them.

was reading about apples' airprint and got turned off to the fact that its limited support for only airprint capable printers ...

been using android for a year now and i like it, easy to use enough for my wifes needs too ...

also, is the android market available on the tab or has samsung locked up the device with their own apps?

sent via wireless device

xtremecanefan

Reaction score
If size is not an issue and you and your wife are comfortable with android I would definately recommend the Tab. That, or wait for the Motorola tablet.

The Tab has a full market, everything you can get on your phone is available on the Tab.

I am not familiar with wireless printing using an android device but I am sure it is possible.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk Pro.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
If you get it from VZW you get 30 days to return, I believe. So if she's not initially thrilled, she can always exchange. It was a close call for me, but the hand held size won out in the end for me. I know my familiarity and love of Android apps pushed me closer. My wife went even smaller, preferring a 64GB Touch to the 16GB iPad (I know they aren't the same category, but she could choose between them) for her birthday. I'd imagine if the iPad doesn't feel too big for her, that her initial satisfaction would be much higher with the iPad than with the Tab if she's never used an Android device. Two months down the road, I'd imagine she'd be used to and loving whichever one she has, and at that point she might be a life-long Apple or Google user :) Shared knowledge/resources in a marriage can be fun, but mixed marriages can work well too (Apple boi and Android girl or Blackberry girl and Android boy). Choose wisely.

Reaction score
There is an app called print share that allows you to print remotely or over wifi, I use it at work all the time.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab

cpjr

Reaction score
FYI- there are apps to allow an iPad to print over wifi, you don't have to use apples AirPrint.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
thanks all for the suggestions ...

it's kind of a shocker that to do simple things, like print a document, i have to pay for an app ... (ipad)

also, any useful app for the ipad also costs more than $ 5 ...

BMWAP

Reaction score
Just saw the Ideos S7 this weekend. That a great low price tablet. Best Buy carries it.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums App

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
i know my wife is not the gadget type but likes stuff that let her do cool stuff ... regardless she also doesnt like the idea of spending upwards of 500 for electronics unless she needs it ...

i got her an ipad ... and she said she doesnt want it. so much for apple's reality distortion field ... he he.

if it was a gift for me i would have opted for the galaxy tab, which we might get b4 we go on vaca this summer ... imo its a much more well rounded and complete device.

one interesting comparison i made is the markup on mobile phones ... @ retail any android smartphone costs around 500 ... but think about thier size and cost to manufacture. then compare to retail cost for these tablets on the market.

truely sad how phone manufacturers are raping ppl that need to buy a device without a contract tied to it ....

anyway, all is not lost, i got her something else which she really likes :)

sent via wireless device