Hello All,

I am hoping that you can assist me with this issue:

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on the Verizon network

Phone Name: SM-N900V

Model Number: SM-N900V

Android Version: 5.0 Lollipop

Build Number: LRX21V.N900VVRUE0B6

Hardware Version: N900V.07

Ever since I have upgraded to Lollipop (5.0) I have been unable to add custom ringtones to each contact on my device. The steps to add a custom ringtone to a contact is pretty straight forward and really do not need to be repeated. I have done a factory reset of the device and still I do not have the option to add a custom ringtone to each contact.

Now I have a Droid Razr Max HD running Kit Kat 4.4.2 and I am able to see the option to add a custom ringtone to each contact.

But when I follow the same steps as I have on the Droid to add a custom ringtone to a contact I am unable to find the option to add a custom ringtone to the contacts on the Note 3.

The media files are in an .mp3 and .mp4 format and it’s the same files that are used on the Droid Razr Max HD. I also copied the files to a friend’s HTC One running Lollipop on the AT&T network and she is able to add a custom ringtones to each contact using my ringtone media files. So the files are not the problem the problem here is that the option to add custom ringtones to each contact or even groups is not available on my official stocked version of Lollipop.

I will appreciate your assistance to this annoying issue.

Thank You.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Sorry it's early and coffee is still brewing.

We're you able add to add them previously on the Note 3?

On my Note 4 it's still the same as it's always been on Samsung devices.

Edit contact, add field, select ring tone, or message tone. Then add it.

Can you post some screen shots with the contact details blocked out but showing the available options?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
vernon27

vernon27

Reaction score
Hello Miller6386,

Here are the screen shots as you requested. The first screenshot (Contact-Details_2015-07-26-09-29-25.jpg) shows the detail of the contact; the second screenshot (Contact_Edit_2015-07-26-09-29-45.jpg) shows the contact Edit screen. As you can see there is no option to add custom ringtone to the contact. Contact-Details_2015-07-26-09-29-25.jpg Contact_Edit_2015-07-26-09-29-45.jpg

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Check to see if the ringtone option appears after selecting "add another field"
87b00b49c226ec36f7c5b6f6ebf579e8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
vernon27

vernon27

Reaction score
Hello Tis,

It appears that u are adding a custom ringtone for a contact's email address. That is not what I want. I want to add a custom ringtone for each of the contacts; for example, in the screenshots I sent that contact does not have an email address and many of the contacts on my phone do not have e-mail addresses. The steps u listed; I was able to follow but that does not solve my issue. In addition, the "ADD ANOTHER FIELD" does not list the Ringtone option/field in it's list.

Do me a favor, go ahead and add a contact with no email address just a phone number and see if the option to add a ringtone is there.

Thanks for you help.

Vernon.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Hello Tis,

It appears that u are adding a custom ringtone for a contact's email address. That is not what I want. I want to add a custom ringtone for each of the contacts; for example, in the screenshots I sent that contact does not have an email address and many of the contacts on my phone do not have e-mail addresses. The steps u listed; I was able to follow but that does not solve my issue. In addition, the "ADD ANOTHER FIELD" does not list the Ringtone option/field in it's list.

Do me a favor, go ahead and add a contact with no email address just a phone number and see if the option to add a ringtone is there.

Thanks for you help.

Vernon.
When you click add another field the next window that pops up is scrollable. Scroll down to ring tone and select it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hello Tis,

It appears that u are adding a custom ringtone for a contact's email address.

Thanks for you help.

Vernon.

There is no email address for the contact example I posted. Ringtone options would apply to phone calls, message tone would apply to text messages. I'm not sure if you can choose a tone for individual email accounts except possibly within an email app.

It should work. Let us know if you any problems.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the problem is it not being a Google contact? I'm thinking it's the Android-sync that's causing it
f4bdf4e09448388378b98a352f9e10a1.jpg

Mine is working fine as a Google contact
85bbb346b382e85e3e78a4741bd69455.jpg

Dad burn if I can remember how to switch it to Google though.
Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm not familiar with Android-sync. It doesn't show up in my "contacts to display." To display google contacts go to menu (to the left of the home button), choose settings, then contacts, then contacts to display.
b6198d0c1cab3e39c6fe0b3d3b878aa7.jpg
350c5e6652afb1481492c01c2b3cee2d.jpg
8ffe24d73c219a4858d47bfdc74985b7.jpg
c3b26f9732d1c003675ced15f0f6e810.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Android-sync. It doesn't show up in my "contacts to display." To display google contacts go to menu (to the left of the home button), choose settings, then contacts, then contacts to display.
b6198d0c1cab3e39c6fe0b3d3b878aa7.jpg
350c5e6652afb1481492c01c2b3cee2d.jpg
8ffe24d73c219a4858d47bfdc74985b7.jpg
c3b26f9732d1c003675ced15f0f6e810.jpg

But you are supposed to be able to change them from wherever to wherever and I can't for the life of me figure out how to. It used to be an option in edit but lollipop has become more ios like in walling its garden once again.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
vernon27

vernon27

Reaction score
Hello All,

HAPPY DANCE!!

I was able to figure out the issue. When I add contacts to my phone they are added to the Android-Synce database; for some reason the option to add custom ringtones to the contacts is not available. When I added a test contact and selected the Phone as the storage source I was then able to add custom ringtones to each contact.

So it appears the Android-Sync does not have the option to add custom ringtones to contacts when running under Lollipop. Perhaps Android-Sync is working in that issue. But I find it interesting that the same app running on Kit Kat 4.4.2 does not have this issue.

Either way, I want to thank all of you who took time out of your busy lives to help with this issue.

Vernon

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh shucks, I'm confused @mountainbikermark. Do you mean type of contact or ringtone?

Contact.
As he wrote above he saved a new contact non Android Sync and it worked fine. Used to be you could move them once saved and set default save point but refused days seem gone.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

HAPPY DANCE!!

I was able to figure out the issue. When I add contacts to my phone they are added to the Android-Synce database; for some reason the option to add custom ringtones to the contacts is not available. When I added a test contact and selected the Phone as the storage source I was then able to add custom ringtones to each contact.

So it appears the Android-Sync does not have the option to add custom ringtones to contacts when running under Lollipop. Perhaps Android-Sync is working in that issue. But I find it interesting that the same app running on Kit Kat 4.4.2 does not have this issue.

Either way, I want to thank all of you who took time out of your busy lives to help with this issue.

Vernon
I've edited the title to solved since the problem has been solved.
Glad you got it fixed.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4