RJLOMMD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge
I have now only one remaining problem with the transfer of data from my S5 to the S7 Edge. I have been unable to open the Settings Menu on FUEL LOG. I've used this app since 2012 and I would like to continue to do so. I used to be able to bring up the menu on the S5 by pressing the "Recent App" button (on the lower left of the phone). It would bring up the settings menu like this:
upload_2016-3-11_11-37-53.png

See settings menu appears at the bottom. But on the S7 Edge when I try to do the same thing all I get is a dialog box saying split screen is not supported:
upload_2016-3-11_11-40-57.png
Is there some way I can get to this settings menu on the S7. Someone has mentioned something about trying to use the assistant menu from the settings to enable the menu button feature. But I can't figure out what is meant.

Once I can get to the Settings Menu I will be able to import the .csv file I exported from the S5.

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thank you

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-11_11-36-29.png
    upload_2016-3-11_11-36-29.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 477

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
It should prompt you when you 1st install it. There's a menu option on my phone, 3 dots at the bottom. When I uninstalled & re installed, I got the option to go to settings

OP
RJLOMMD

RJLOMMD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge
Thanks, CJM. I know what you mean but nothing like that appears on the S7 screen. I even uninstalled the app and then did another Smart Switch such that only the Fuel Log transferred. But first I checked the settings menu on the S5 and I even made sure that the setting for Keyboard layout was for Galaxy. But after the new switch the same screen appeared when I opened it for the first time. I cannot believe that the little window at the bottom of the first screenshot (S5) is not also present in the downloaded or transferred app. I just need to figure out how to get at it.

I've tried to contact the developer, Simon Morgenthaler, but without success which is what several of the reviewers said but I know he helped in 2012 when transferring the data from a Droid RAZR Maxx to the S5.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Did you get this app from the Play Store? If so, I would uninstall it and then reinstall it from wherever you initially got it. Since Smart Switch isn't transferring over the data from the S5, you're safer to make sure you're installing a fresh copy and not just copying it over from the S5. If that makes sense.

I may be way off, as I've never used Smart Switch before, but I'd uninstall it and install it from the store instead of using Smart Switch.

OP
RJLOMMD

RJLOMMD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge
Thanks, Mr. Kansas! I've already uninstalled the original transfer from Smart Switch, downloaded a fresh one with the new license key with no success, uninstalled that oneven as I describe in the original post above.
I really think it is something internal in the app and I'm looking for a workaround.

Keit h LaBove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
I had a similar problem with a different mileage tracker, and resolved it initially by using the Accessibility options, (under Dexterity and interaction), Assistant menu. Turn it on, and you get a floating option on every screen. Touch it, and you'll see among the choices, More Options. That opened up the menu on my app. You can also edit the choices that come up.

I only needed to get into the app's menu to import data, so I was able to disable the floating option button in accessibility after the app was set up.

Keith

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like the query on Android Central you posted might give fruit if the last poster comes back and elaborates on what they vaguely posted for you.
Marshmallow might be incompatible with the app. I've run into that before where developers have abandoned an app that worked for years afterwards until a firmware update changed something that is incompatible.
Best of luck. I'll keep searching Google and see if anyone has a solution but it seems the one on AC has it and just needs to come back and elaborate for you.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
RJLOMMD

RJLOMMD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GALAXY S7 Edge
Thank you very much Keith! Someone on Android Central mentioned something about Assistant Menu but never said anything about how to get there or how to use it as Mountainbikemark has posted--just after your post. I followed the steps that you suggested and it worked just fine. Yes I was able to pull up that settings menu on the S7 just as it appears in the screenshot of my S5 screen in my original post. And from there importing the .csv was a breeze. But I must add that I am very disappointed by the fact that Mr. Morganthaler no longer supports his app AND that the Android Market (still can't get myself to call it the GOOGLE PLAY ) doesn't have some disclaimer that this app is no longer supported. I am, at the same time, very favorably impressed with William D. Kraemer who has a similar app "FillUp" because he replied to my request about his app's ability to import, asked me to send my .csv file, reworked it so that it conformed to his app all before I had even downloaded it! I have now done and it works very well. I'm now with two fuel tracking applications.

Last edited:

Keit h LaBove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
Glad it worked for you. I ran across the tip in one of the other forums, but I can't remember which. Just trying to share the wealth. I'm changing apps as well, to a Mileage Tracker by Bluj It, that I think will work for me. I guess apps aren't forever.

Keith

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to read it is solved and you've found a replacement app that you're even happier with to boot

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><