Solution to slow and sluggish phone after ICS update

nri1998

Reaction score
Somebody suggested this in a different forum. I tried and noticed the difference. Thought it might help some folks. If your phone is slow and sluggish, try this:

Please go to settings>developers options>transition animation scale and make sure its on .5x and not 10x or it will be slower than a snail. Once you switch it make sure it stays there it took me a few times before it stayed put and started going fast again.

Also, try a system cache clean and/or FDR after installation if you have too many issues after the ICS update. It will resolve some or lots of problems.

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
Omg.....thank you!!!! I was just going to post how horrible my phone was....

Did you notice the difference after changing the animation setting? I see the difference and don't know why it was setup to higher value during update? Only thing to find out is if effects battery life in anyway.

Last edited:

shobe

Reaction score
Awesome find. Its like a NEW phone again

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

bluezdawg

Reaction score
My Bionic has been wicked fast after the update. Looked at this setting out of curiosity and noticed it was set at 1x. Same with window animation scale. Fyi, as a tip from an earlier post, I checked the force GPU rendering. Bumped quadrant score from 2470 to 2720

brunla

Reaction score
thank you! I was so frustrated! I completely turned off transition animation scale and windows scale and the phone is finally fast. I'm not sure what those things do, but I do not care. I could barely use the phone before.

jkensing

Reaction score
Transition Animation Scale

Does anyone know what the Transition Animation Scale does?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I took a look at mine and it was at 1x. I'll leave it there for now and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!

Tonik

Reaction score

It is the fade in fade out look as you switch between apps/screens. Set it to 10 and hit a couple of menus and apss. You will see what it does. These people didn't have slow phones...they had a screen fade setting that made it look slow. :) What I find interesting about all of this is that the default setting is 1. How some peeps got to other numbers is the real mystery here.

Reaction score
Going from 1 to 0.5 helped a bit, and I've been running ICS leaks since JUN. Clearing cache and Dalvik didn't help at all, though -- FDR did, but that lasted only a couple weeks. It's too much of a pain to do FDR again.

brunla

Reaction score
I turned off transition animation scale, AND window animation scale. I was still noticing some lag. I then changed 'background process limit' to NO background processes and my phone is finally acting like quick and speedy. Not sure what background process thing does exactly, but I could not handle 20-30 second delays opening apps.

toy4x4

Reaction score

Its just the length of time that a window is displayed while it is closing and a new one opening... You can set it to 10x and go back and forth from home screen to settings to see what I mean. Mine was set at default 1x as was the window transitioning...

toy4x4

Reaction score
My Bionic has been wicked fast after the update. Looked at this setting out of curiosity and noticed it was set at 1x. Same with window animation scale. Fyi, as a tip from an earlier post, I checked the force GPU rendering. Bumped quadrant score from 2470 to 2720

Wow. This force GPU setting really made the difference in my phone.