Software updates makes text in browser sharper

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This guy does phone reviews. A couple of posts about software updates:

Motorola DROID X MB810 (Xtreme/Shadow) Pre-Release Thread Part 3 - Information Only

There's a new firmware out for the Droid X, but here's what happened....

The units that were given out at the NY event a few weeks ago had firmware 1.13.514. This was a release candidate firmware and it didn't include the Need for Speed Shift game. My source at Motorola said the final shipping firmware would be .516 on the retail phones. Yesterday I had to send this demo unit to my coworker, as he's going to be doing a comparison with it and the EVO and iPhone4. Since that left me without a Droid X here to work on, I was able to have another one sent out, that I got today.

This one does have the .516 firmware and the Need for Speed Shift game. After a few minutes of having it on, a screen popped up saying that it wanted to download and install a newer firmware 1.13.604 that was 16.5MB. It had a place to click for release notes, but it was blank. So I downloaded it, and then looked for the update.zip file, but it wasn't on the SD card, nor could I find it on the phone (it may have been in the /data directory, but you can view hidden files in there). After I installed the update, the only change I've seen so far is that Kindle app is now on the phone (but there could be internal fixes/updates).

Here's the new version info:

Software: (was .516)
Version.1.13.604.MB810.Verizon.en.US

Baseband version: (was .04P)
BP_C_01.09.09P

So those of you that are going to by the Droid X, it will most likely have the .516 firmware, but you'll have an update to .604. Maybe by then will know if there was any other changes besides adding the Kindle app.
Motorola DROID X MB810 (Xtreme/Shadow) Pre-Release Thread Part 3 - Information Only

I'm amazed, but one thing I've noticed that is fixed in the new firmware is that the small text in web pages are no longer jagged around the edges. I noticed it right away when using the browser...wow the small text is sharper and not pixelated. Thank you Motorola.
So one, the first review units sent out didnt have the final software like Verizon and Motorola said.

Two, there will be updated software on the retail units we all get and there will be an OTA update soon after.

So some issues reviewers saw might actually be fixed quick at launch.

I'm liking this...:D

Last edited:

jweber

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

:beer2:Nice to hear about the small text getting cleared up, Hows the new game?

z06mike

Reaction score
I had problems with google image search. My X would not let me see pics from google image search. I could not click on them or anything. Then yesterday out of nowhere I just decided to check the software update and I was surprised to see an update. Well this update fixed that problem!

I can't speak to the text as I really didn't check that before this update.

Mine already had the Need for Speed game though.

paul89

Reaction score
This just makes me want the phone that much more! I remember a review comparing the iphone4 and the X and they were showing how much more clear small text was on the iphone4. I was a little upset! But know this just gives the phone another thumbs up!