Soak test

Psychlone

Reaction score
You guys that are wondering about being rooted - you cannot be rooted and obtain an OTA. At least that's what was mentioned in the MFN forums by several people AND it was mentioned on the survey and elsewhere.

To partake in a soak test, you HAVE to be completely stock and unrooted, otherwise, your phone won't accept the update. (When I say completely stock and unrooted, I mean that you have to have either the ORIGNIAL ROM or the latest OFFICIAL OTA (5.9.893) along with ALL the bloat - AND you cannot have root access to anything - their update process checks this and will remove you from queue) If you wait until the day of the rollout to unroot and revert back to stock, you'll be skipped - shoved out of line effectively, and the next MEID will take your place in line for the OTA.

This isn't child's play, guys. I understand wanting to have the latest and greatest a day before everyone else, but like I mentioned, the last one completely borked my phone and turned it into garbage. My only salvation (and only a slight one at that) was the 5.9.901 that leaked.

Oh, by the way, it's not coincidence that 5.9.902 just hit the Verizon servers today... that's likely what you're going to be testing.
DROID BIONIC 5.9.902 Update Shows Up On VZW Support Site, Rollout Imminent (No, It Isn't ICS)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm going to agree that the rooted phones are out on this one. I am not going to give up root for this. I agreed to return to stock to get it but since I'm not going to give up root then I'll have to wait for Verizon to push it.

"But WHY THE RUM?!!"

mikespe

Reaction score
You guys that are wondering about being rooted - you cannot be rooted and obtain an OTA. At least that's what was mentioned in the MFN forums by several people AND it was mentioned on the survey and elsewhere.

To partake in a soak test, you HAVE to be completely stock and unrooted, otherwise, your phone won't accept the update. (When I say completely stock and unrooted, I mean that you have to have either the ORIGNIAL ROM or the latest OFFICIAL OTA (5.9.893) along with ALL the bloat - AND you cannot have root access to anything - their update process checks this and will remove you from queue) If you wait until the day of the rollout to unroot and revert back to stock, you'll be skipped - shoved out of line effectively, and the next MEID will take your place in line for the OTA.

This isn't child's play, guys. I understand wanting to have the latest and greatest a day before everyone else, but like I mentioned, the last one completely borked my phone and turned it into garbage. My only salvation (and only a slight one at that) was the 5.9.901 that leaked.

Oh, by the way, it's not coincidence that 5.9.902 just hit the Verizon servers today... that's likely what you're going to be testing.
DROID BIONIC 5.9.902 Update Shows Up On VZW Support Site, Rollout Imminent (No, It Isn't ICS)

So I guess that means mine didn't work? Looks successful to me!

View attachment 47025

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mikespe

Reaction score
Dumb question though...where is the reply button in the moto soak test forum? I can see the forum & read the posts but can't find out how to reply...LOL

striker85

Reaction score
In regard to anyone trying to revert to 5.893 from 901, follow these instructions. Worked flawlessly. Unbrick Your Bionic Here - RootzWiki

M
ike, were you rooted on 901 when you installed the update? Everything working ok after install? Details, man!

striker85

Reaction score
Ok, good to know. I'm waiting to receive the soak and had in the meantime reverted to stock 5.893 from 901. I'm thinking of re-rooting though, because it may be possible to root 902...for a while at least. Maybe I should root now and then get the update installed.

mikespe

Reaction score
Ok, good to know. I'm waiting to receive the soak and had in the meantime reverted to stock 5.893 from 901. I'm thinking of re-rooting though, because it may be possible to root 902...for a while at least. Maybe I should root now and then get the update installed.

I'm forever rooted just in case...I was at work when the update came in so I haven't had much time to play with it. I did take the screenshot & that was with an app that needs root. Also, I turned off Juiced Defender so I can test the battery & the handoff from 4g to wifi & back...as well as to 3g...I still need to find out what else I need to do...I guess there is a forum for the soak testers that are stock AND rooted...we are supposed to post in the appropriate forums...as soon as I figure out there forum system I'll post

Psychlone

Reaction score
@Mike: Double check your Superuser - pop into Terminal and type SU.

If you've retained root, you're the first I've heard of. Perhaps they've loosened the limitations on the soak OTAs (since almost EVERYONE that wants to participate in a soak is rooted these days).

Glad to see that it's working, you should still ensure SU access via Terminal though... And do give detailed feedback when your NDA is lifted - I'm sure we'd all like to know if .902 is worth a crap.

OP
W

wolf102

Reaction score
well this stinks my phone wont exept the update.it says installation aborted status 7.i have tried all of the links off of here to.i have also tried a fdr still no luck.
my phone has a stock rom rooted overclocked to 1275 and v6 superchargedand im on update 901.if anyone could help i would appreciate it

km75

Reaction score
I was on the leaked .901 update. I was rooted with forever root as well. I downloaded the .902 update zip over 4g initially and met with an error when trying to install it. I re-downloaded the exact same update zip over wifi and it installed just fine. Retained root as well. Didnt need to go back to. 893
a6f806a5-482b-55cf.jpg
a6f806a5-4841-3653.jpg

mikespe

Reaction score
@Mike: Double check your Superuser - pop into Terminal and type SU.

If you've retained root, you're the first I've heard of. Perhaps they've loosened the limitations on the soak OTAs (since almost EVERYONE that wants to participate in a soak is rooted these days).

Glad to see that it's working, you should still ensure SU access via Terminal though... And do give detailed feedback when your NDA is lifted - I'm sure we'd all like to know if .902 is worth a crap.

Trust me... I'm still rooted... First thing I checked is Superuser. Plus all over the soak test forum people are saying they are still rooted

View attachment 47065

Reaction score
well this stinks my phone wont exept the update.it says installation aborted status 7.i have tried all of the links off of here to.i have also tried a fdr still no luck.
my phone has a stock rom rooted overclocked to 1275 and v6 superchargedand im on update 901.if anyone could help i would appreciate it

Your not stock if you have any modifications done to the phone. Rooted works but not the overclock or the super charged. Has to be completely stock to work, aside from root.

"But WHY THE RUM?!!"

Psychlone

Reaction score
Pretty cool that you can retain root this time - last couple soak tests revolved around being COMPLETELY stock - meaning no root, all the original bloat and most definitely the original OTA.

I think that perhaps Moto finally figured out how to get decent feedback - it's really only US, the people that root and ROM and change our phones that have valuable input - the people that don't wouldn't even know any different...
Now it's all a matter of Moto taking the opinions of the people that are testing their software.

Good luck with that part.

Any feedback about official 902 that anyone dares to discuss might find itself beneficial to everyone else here...