So why not a detachable USB?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Love this phone, I really do...but I'm quite curious why they made the charger one way?

It's the one thing that really frustrates me with this phone. I mean they knew it's a new and unique charger that won't work for almost anything else...I really want to believe there's a reason for it outside of pure greed by forcing us to buy accessories...any reassurance??

Also is Airdroid as great as they say it is to make up for this?

Edit: Also, I have a ton of pictures...is there a quick and easy way to transfer pictures instead of going through check marking each one to send?

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just FYI, that's not the first Droid to come with a charging cable only...non detachable. The Turbo 2 has the same charger. Moto stopped making 2 piece chargers & cables for Droids after the Turbo...in 2014.

I have never used Airdroid, but many members here swear by it. And it has 10,000,000 downloads. That says a lot right there. But the bad grammar in the App Description stopped me from downloading it; just my pet peeve. I don't trust an app that has bad grammar in the description. I have plenty of USB to micro USB cables from older phones and use those to transfer files to my phones.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Just FYI, that's not the first Droid to come with a charging cable only...non detachable. The Turbo 2 has the same charger. Moto stopped making 2 piece chargers & cables for Droids after the Turbo...in 2014.

I have never used Airdroid, but many members here swear by it. And it has 10,000,000 downloads. That says a lot right there. But the bad grammar in the App Description stopped me from downloading it; just my pet peeve. I don't trust an app that has bad grammar in the description. I have plenty of USB to micro USB cables from older phones and use those to transfer files to my phones.

Love this phone, I really do...but I'm quite curious why they made the charger one way?

It's the one thing that really frustrates me with this phone. I mean they knew it's a new and unique charger that won't work for almost anything else...I really want to believe there's a reason for it outside of pure greed by forcing us to buy accessories...any reassurance??

Also is Airdroid as great as they say it is to make up for this?

Edit: Also, I have a ton of pictures...is there a quick and easy way to transfer pictures instead of going through check marking each one to send?

I definitely knew it wasn't the first to do it, but I guess because my Turbo had it and this is sort of a spiritual successor to the T2 (which I didn't have so I didn't know it was also non-detachable) I just sort of expected it with this one. I think what gets me most is the fact it's a brand new type of USB that almost nothing else uses and I only have a few available plugs in my room so it's annoying having to juggle around these big chargers. If they were smaller plugs I could make do, but the big ones take up two spots so it can get annoying...

Also it's not just a power thing, but a connecting to the computer to put stuff on my SD card thing. This AirDroid works but it's kinda confusing, takes up data, and requires an account. It's also limited on what you can transfer unless you have the paid version...

Mostly I just want to know why though...is it an actual battery thing or a money thing?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Only Moto can answer that question

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think I read something about how it has to do with Turbo Charging, but that's all I've got. I believe it's a different cable to allow the larger amounts of power to pass through.

Not really sure how that actually matters though.

Sent from my Moto Z

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just use ES File Explorer....has a LAN option where you can connect wirelessly to other devices on your wifi network. Transfer rates are a bit slow if doing hundreds of MP3's for example (never used Airdroid for comparison), but just fine for a few files or photos

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

yvancowell

Reaction score
Hi! While you can use Airdroid to transfer files, there is a great alternative for that. The app is called Airmore. You can effortlessly transfer files from your phone using the app. But you need to have internet connection in order to do use this plus you need to install the app on your phone (you don't need to install any software on your PC). Just check the site to see how it works.