So whose side are you on, wait the side that pays

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
aaron-rodgers-belt.jpg

With Google providing multiple services and products that challenges the market we seem to feel like they are the good guys, champions, for the people. But we have to keep in mind that just like all those other companies that make money Google is seeking to do the same. So it should be no surprise that Google will be taking something as private as our Gmail account and look to monetize it through ad revenue. The question is will this be something that finally turns the community against Google or will people be willing to let this slide?

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/28/9410975/google-customer-match-ad-targeting-email-addresses

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
We aren't paying for the Google services so until there is a paid subscription to their Gmail what can we say?

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Great GIF. I am fully aware that I am a product of google. I prefer to be google than facebook.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is an anonymous service that they are starting as well.

I've always used a secondary account for purchases so it will be interesting to see a couple of things. How will it work with my email that is just for friends and family? And how is it going to work if you opt out of emails from say Amazon, Ebay, Etc?

I'm not a big opponent to advertising. I understand the gist of why it is around. I don't want every service online to be a paid service whether it be a website that I frequent or an app that I use. I'm fine with some advertising as long as it isn't super intrusive to what I am doing online.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
As long as the ads are not overwhelming, spamming my inbox and taking up real estate in my browser window, thats fine. I don't want ad e-mails that can't be filtered to the spam folder and I already use AdBlock.

I would also have no problem paying for gmail. I know there are plenty of others out there for free but honestly, I like gmail. I've used it since it was an invite service way back when. I'd pay up to $50 a year for gmail with no ads at all and improved features.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gmail came embedded on my phone that I paid for so I did in fact pay for gmail as part of the phone.
When I can uninstall without root talk to me again about it being free but until then it's bloatware that was part of what I paid for.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Reactions: cr6

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Gmail came embedded on my phone that I paid for so I did in fact pay for gmail as part of the phone.
When I can uninstall without root talk to me again about it being free but until then it's bloatware that was part of what I paid for.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Do you use it?

I don't see it as being paid for simply because it was pre-installed on the phone, but I can see where some might take it that way.

I could understand if it was the only app that you could ever use on a device for mail, but it isn't.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you use it?

I don't see it as being paid for simply because it was pre-installed on the phone, but I can see where some might take it that way.

I could understand if it was the only app that you could ever use on a device for mail, but it isn't.
Whether I use it or not is irrelevant because it was onboard. If it was a paid vs free app on Play, like in the days of froyo, that I could decide whether to purchase our with it being free utilize for free but it's not. I paid for it with the phone,I should not have to pay again, or see ads, to use it. Change it from Google bloatware to any carrier bloatware that charges to use and it'd be the same thing. It came with the phone, whether I use it or not.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Whether I use it or not is irrelevant because it was onboard. If it was a paid vs free app on Play, like in the days of froyo, that I could decide whether to purchase our with it being free utilize for free but it's not. I paid for it with the phone,I should not have to pay again, or see ads, to use it. Change it from Google bloatware to any carrier bloatware that charges to use and it'd be the same thing. It came with the phone, whether I use it or not.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Sure it's relevant. If you are using Gmail then you have to roll with whatever they throw your way or stop using it and run with another client.

I'm not a huge fan of un-installable software either. I would prefer to uninstall some of Sammy's apps that I don't use.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I never paid for Gmail when I had Froyo on my S1. Was there a paid version I was unaware of? (Maybe I misunderstood your comment) It's always been free...I used it for (years before I purchased a smartphone and never had to pay for it.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's what I am trying to convey. If we aren't paying for it then we have to roll with the punches or stop using it.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I would gladly pay a small fee every year for Gmail account in order to pull the ads out of the app. I am very pleased with my Gmail and it's filters.

I've used Gmail since LONG before my smartphone days.

Somehow these ads in apps keep becoming more and more profitable for these devs and companies which for me more and more makes me want to just pay to eliminate them.

Note 4tified

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what I am trying to convey. If we aren't paying for it then we have to roll with the punches or stop using it.
I'd just go with the latter along with the other bloatware and disable it like others .
To answer which I use,I paid for Enhanced Email years ago.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4