So I've decided to stop using my Nexus 6 and purchase a 6P but I have a couple questions

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
So after all of the positive reviews and my constant need to get a new phone every year, I've decided to get a 6P. I did, however, have a question about possibly using my upgrade at Verizon (last phone on contract was the 2013 Moto X so im off contract at the moment) to purchase a iPhone 6S 16gb for $199.99 on contract. I would then just resale the 6S for $600+ on swappa/Craigslist and use that money to make up for the cost of the 6P. I just have two questions:

Does anyone have any experience with doing this? I have read of numerous people doing this throughout the years, but have not done this myself.

Are there any downsides to this idea as opposed to being locked in for another 2 years?

Hopefully I've described the idea well enough for everyone to get the picture. If not just ask and I'll clarify further.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Can a buyer activate a phone if you haven't paid it off... I don't think that will work.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Can a buyer activate a phone if you haven't paid it off... I don't think that will work.
Apparently you can on the Payment Plan. As long as you keep making your payments. We have a member here that sold a phone at least a couple months ago. He's still making payments, but the other person has the phone activated.

As to the OP, your gonna pay more monthly if you get a subsidized phone on contract. Have you looked in to the new plans? I assume you're not on unlimited data since your considering getting a phone on contract.

You might be able to save yourself quite a bit of money if you just buy the 6P outright & check into the new plans they offer.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Not sure if Google offers credit, thought I read that if you buy the phone via Project Fi they offer financing, and nothing I read says you actually have to use the project Fi service.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
What happens if the person you sold this device to loses it or damages it? Won't it come up under YOUR imei number? There are so many ways this can screw the new owner by doing this way. Personally I wouldn't recommend it, but that's just me. You're selling a device that isn't fully paid for. Most of us wouldn't want to purchase a device that isn't free and clear, why do that to some unsuspecting sap just so you can purchase a new device that you can't actually afford to begin with?

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Huawei offers financing through a third party called Affirm. Terms aren't the best, but it gets the device in your hands sooner than saving your pennies.

Reactions: cr6
OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
What happens if the person you sold this device to loses it or damages it? Won't it come up under YOUR imei number? There are so many ways this can screw the new owner by doing this way. Personally I wouldn't recommend it, but that's just me. You're selling a device that isn't fully paid for. Most of us wouldn't want to purchase a device that isn't free and clear, why do that to some unsuspecting sap just so you can purchase a new device that you can't actually afford to begin with?

S5 tap'n

I never said I couldn't afford it. Thats not the issue. I was just trying to make the best financial decision in order for me to save the most money. It's not rocket science. I made this thread to get people's opinions on the idea as I have heard numerous others have done it without issue.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My initial post still stands. If you're not on unlimited data, you could likely save the most money & continue to do so by checking out the new plans that vzw offers.

When you buy a subsidized phone, you still pay monthly for the phone. It's just hidden in your bill instead of made clear like the device payment plan.

If you're buying your own phone outright, it should be cheaper to get on one of the new "plans". & this will be a continuing savings, rather than making some money off the subsidized phone, but still paying more each month for your bill.

OP
patmw123

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
My initial post still stands. If you're not on unlimited data, you could likely save the most money & continue to do so by checking out the new plans that vzw offers.

When you buy a subsidized phone, you still pay monthly for the phone. It's just hidden in your bill instead of made clear like the device payment plan.

If you're buying your own phone outright, it should be cheaper to get on one of the new "plans". & this will be a continuing savings, rather than making some money off the subsidized phone, but still paying more each month for your bill.

I understand your points and the facts that you mentioned, which I appreciate, but you also painted me out to be some slimeball trying to take advantage of someone else - which I'm not. I've been a Verizon/Alltel/Centel customer for 20+ years. I'm not concerned with failed payment or screwing someone over. I'll pay whatever necessary to avoid that.

Regardless, I do appreciate the facts you brought forth. I just think you misunderstood my intentions.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I understand your points and the facts that you mentioned, which I appreciate, but you also painted me out to be some slimeball trying to take advantage of someone else - which I'm not. I've been a Verizon/Alltel/Centel customer for 20+ years. I'm not concerned with failed payment or screwing someone over. I'll pay whatever necessary to avoid that.

Regardless, I do appreciate the facts you brought forth. I just think you misunderstood my intentions.
I think you're confusing me with someone else.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I never said I couldn't afford it. Thats not the issue. I was just trying to make the best financial decision in order for me to save the most money. It's not rocket science. I made this thread to get people's opinions on the idea as I have heard numerous others have done it without issue.
I apologize for cr6. You are right, this is not about affording the phone. I do agree, it may be more of a headache than it is worth. If the phone does go lost or damaged, it's going to come back to you. Why would you want to deal with that?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I drilled several Verizon reps regarding exactly this when I went to the pay per month (ppm) plan. Once you get the phone, you can do whatever you want to with it but you will be responsible for the ppm charge until it is paid off. If you want to sell or give the phone away to anyone in the world, you can. There is no lock on the imei. They said that a common scenario is that person wants to sell the phone, use the money they make on the sale to pay off the balance on their ppm plan so that they can buy a new phone on a ppm plan.

The one restriction is that if a line still owes on a ppm plan, then that balance has to be paid off before they can purchase another phone using the ppm plan. (although they can purchase a new phone at full retail when they are still paying on a ppm plan).

The one advantage to being on the ppm plan (or if your phone is no longer in contract) is that you can reduce your $40 line charge to $15. Basically, you are paying an extra $25 per month for two years to have a subsidized phone. In addition, if you have any lines that are no longer in contact, you have to ask them to reduce your line charge to $15. They don't do it automatically. (this only applies to tiered data lines, not unlimited data lines).

Same holds true for subsidized phones still on contract... you can sell or give that phone away, but you will still remain on contract till that contract expires.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

I do apologize, I wasn't trying to paint you out to be the bad guy, just trying to point out all the issues involved with this method. Ultimately it's your decision and if you're able to make it work for you than that's great.
Good luck & do keep us updated and let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n