So I bought my girlfriend an iPad...

OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Reaction score
Portability, Battery Life, use as a practical E-reader, app-store, size-to-weight ratio, multitouch, simplicity...

Just because you don't find a use for it, doesn't mean it's not a great gadget to a lot of people.

I used my laptop at the airport during the holidays and although it gets excellent battery life for a powerful machine (5 hours +), it died well before I landed. However, had I had my girlfriend's iPad, it would have lasted me the entire time. Sure, I can do more with a full-fledged computer, but I wasn't doing work and had no need for everything a laptop provided. I just wanted to read and watch movies...

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Portability, Battery Life, use as a practical E-reader, app-store, size-to-weight ratio, multitouch, simplicity...

Just because you don't find a use for it, doesn't mean it's not a great gadget to a lot of people.

I used my laptop at the airport during the holidays and although it gets excellent battery life for a powerful machine (5 hours +), it died well before I landed. However, had I had my girlfriend's iPad, it would have lasted me the entire time. Sure, I can do more with a full-fledged computer, but I wasn't doing work and had no need for everything a laptop provided. I just wanted to read and watch movies...

That's the answer I was looking for, but I still can't see paying literally twice as much for a PC that only does half as much as a laptop (mini).

Portability, you can find a laptop about the same size. It will be slightly thicker, but that's really it.

Battery life, the iPad wins.

E-reader, you can easily download on to any PC.

App-store, why would you need an app-store on a PC?

Size-to-weight, iPad wins.

Multitouch, I've never needed a PC with this feature.

Simplicity, that's opinion.

I'm not bashing the iPad. I've never personally used one, but I haven't ever had the urge to play with one in an electronics store, either. I just can't justify spending almost twice as much for a system that I see to be lacking. I mean, the 64GB version is $699, which is outrageous.

To each his own, but I just don't see it.

OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Reaction score
Portability, you can find a laptop about the same size. It will be slightly thicker, but that's really it.

E-reader, you can easily download on to any PC.

App-store, why would you need an app-store on a PC?

Multitouch, I've never needed a PC with this feature.

Simplicity, that's opinion.

I'm not bashing the iPad. I've never personally used one, but I haven't ever had the urge to play with one in an electronics store, either. I just can't justify spending almost twice as much for a system that I see to be lacking. I mean, the 64GB version is $699, which is outrageous.

To each his own, but I just don't see it.
I've never seen a laptop the size of an iPad.

I said a "practical" e-reader. Are you actually going to read a novel on a laptop in bed, at a bus stop, or while waiting in line?

You wouldn't need an app-store on a PC. But on a tablet, it's a great feature.

Just because you've never needed multitouch on a laptop does not discredit it being a strength.

Simplicity, in this case, can be objective. A laptop is a full-fledged computer, and as such, is a more complicated device.

The price is high--that can be said for any top-tier tablet on the market. However, for our household, it is justifiable based on perceived value.

Diordna

Reaction score
So, the iPad is an enlarged version of the iPhone, without the ability to make phone calls?

Hate to burst the bubble but you can make calls on the iPad. Download Truephone, free app, create an account, and tap the number. The only restriction, the person you are calling needs to have a Truephone account.

Or Skype?? 0.0

cpjr

Reaction score
And double the price of a laptop....not really. Yes double the price of a cheap laptop, maybe has the same hardware specs or close...but NOT nearly as well built or dependable a device, quality wise...at all. Everything is overpriced, Im not denying that.

And you wont find a laptop, any laptop, that is as portable or has the battery life OR that you can buy with built in 3G service. Yeah you can buy a USB modem to handle that, but then you gotta keep up with it.

Its meant to be an on-the-go, ultra portable device. Thats what it was built for, and it does it better than any laptop on the market.

So....if you think a laptop is better, thats perfectly fine.....you dont need an ipad then. The biggest problem people have is not knowing what they need and buying the wrong device.