So I bought my girlfriend an iPad...

Big Lou

Reaction score
...and I must admit it's an excellent device. I'd never purchase an iPhone over an Android phone, but in my opinion, Android just isn't ready for tablets. Perhaps when Honeycomb is released, things will be better, but for now the iPad is a great device.

I've played around with a handful of Android-based tablets, and they all seem amiss. The Galaxy tab is the only one that doesn't scream "thoughtless shovelware", but even it is somewhat clumsy.

Now to jailbreak this thing...

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That's what I've been saying. I love my iPad. When the Android tablets develop, they're going to be very good, they just aren't there yet. I am seeing a significant jump in available apps and quality of Android apps. That is a very good thing. I hope it continues that trend. I believe the two need to exist together to keep driving each other to improve. We'll be better off for it.

cpjr

Reaction score
Same here....love my ipad and will be getting an android tablet later on as well.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Battery Manager tells me it's been 1 day, 2 hours, 49 minutes and 40 seconds since I last charged my D2. That's because I use the iPad for everything now.

Oh and I still am at 50% power.

markwebb

Reaction score
Well, I "like" but don't "love" my Ipad.

Sure, it is easier to handle than a laptop or netbook.

I just don't like Itunes controlling everything and one is nickled and dimed on apps. I think Safari doesn't render web pages fast enough (my OG Droid and laptop Chrome browser render a page faster).

I am probably in the minority of those who aren't "wowed." Maybe later iterations or an improved, upcoming Android tablet will sway my opinion.

Oh, and btw, my Ipad was a gift! I should be more appreciative (which I am), I know, but in all honesty, I could NEVER justify its purchase price. Bad value in that regard, IMHO.

Again, I "like" it but it truly is not my number one tech gadget. It sits unused most of the time, believe it or not!

To each their own, eh? :)

Last edited:

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Well, I "like" but not "love" my Ipad.

Sure, it is easier to handle than a laptop or netbook.

I just don't like Itunes controlling everything and one is nickled and dimed on apps. I think Safari doesn't render web pages fast enough (my OG Droid and laptop Chrome browser render a page faster).

I am probably in the minority of those who aren't "wowed." Maybe later iterations or an improved, upcoming Android tablet will sway my opinion.

Oh, and btw, my Ipad was a gift! I should be more appreciative, I know, but in all honesty, I could NEVER justify its purchase price. Bad value in that regard, IMHO.

Again, I "like" it but it truly is not my number one tech gadget. It sits unused most of the time, believe it or not!

To each their own, eh? :)

Yay! Found another minority like myself!!!

8pened!

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well I have a family full of Android tablets. Two Archos A101/8 gigs and a Viewsonic GTab. I can say for the price the Archos units a phenomenal value and excellent performers. The Viewsonic GTab is a beast of a device but it needs root love and a custom ROM for it to become that beast so it is more of a tinkerers tablet. The Archos tablets just need Launcher Pro and Spare Parts and then they are golden.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So, the iPad is an enlarged version of the iPhone, without the ability to make phone calls?

OP
Big Lou

Big Lou

Reaction score
So, the iPad is an enlarged version of the iPhone, without the ability to make phone calls?
LOL, misguided fanboys crack me up. Anyways... can we please go back to mature, educated discussion?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had an iPad! My youngest son need to replace his computer so I gave him my iPad. Now, I'm back to my MacBookPro!

The iPad is a fantastic device! No compliments from me. When I had it, it did everything I needed it to do.

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hate to burst the bubble but you can make calls on the iPad. Download Truephone, free app, create an account, and tap the number. The only restriction, the person you are calling needs to have a Truephone account.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm being completely serious. What's the perks of the iPad over a regular laptop?