So Google Maps cannot pinpoint my location....

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
Errors in GPS data

My first post!

For what its worth, on several different brands of dedicated GPS units that my friends have, our house coordinates show up almost exactly 1.1 miles west of where our house really is. 3 times in the last two years someone has called asking "do you really live at this McDonalds?" or something disturbingly similar.

Could this be some error in the global GPS data that shows up once in a while?

Like I said, for what its worth.

Regards,
Nate

smokinfish

Reaction score
Disabled "use wireless networks" under location and security settings.
As stated above. Go to maps and select my location and it should correct itself. Also if you had your maps open during the day and close it down before you get home it will show your last location until you open maps again and refresh your location.That's typically why it's off base for me.

OP
P

Pinja

Reaction score
To everyone that said to turn off wireless networks and enable GPS instead that did it. It has me right at my house now. Thanks to everyone who helped out and suggested different fixes my problem has been solved and I am much appreciated :icon_ banana:

88g

Reaction score
It's a bug. In 2.01, it can pinpoint location solely use the wireless and turn off the GPS.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a bug. In 2.01, it can pinpoint location solely use the wireless and turn off the GPS.
You're always going to have a larger margin of error unless you're using GPS.

The Droid's GPS seems to always operate in assisted mode so it does need the network to get an initial fix. I've run into a couple of instances where mine isn't able to lock on to the satellites even if it can "see" them. GPS Status is definitely handy for troubleshooting as it shows you the number of satellites that the receiver can pick up as well as how many it is actually locking on to.

To everyone that said to turn off wireless networks and enable GPS instead that did it. It has me right at my house now. Thanks to everyone who helped out and suggested different fixes my problem has been solved and I am much appreciated
From what I can tell, this doesn't really fix anything. Google Maps will use the wireless networks if GPS isn't available but should switch to GPS when available. Maybe yours was having trouble switching or something.

With Wireless Networks disabled it will only use GPS so you need to be outdoors or in a spot where it can lock onto the satellites.

Last edited:

warcin

Reaction score
From what I can tell, this doesn't really fix anything. Google Maps will use the wireless networks if GPS isn't available but should switch to GPS when available. Maybe yours was having trouble switching or something.

With Wireless Networks disabled it will only use GPS so you need to be outdoors or in a spot where it can lock onto the satellites.

Unfortunately I have to disagree I could not get the GPS to find my location either until I too turned off the wireless option. After turning that off a couple of days ago so far everything has been working great.

slinky

Reaction score
I am in a major city. I frequently need to put on both location tracking items and even then it frequently is off by a quarter mile.

Hectour

Reaction score
I been having this issue also and it was driving me nuts that it would not find my right location. I turned off the wireless networks and it works. By turning that off will that effect the way the phone as far as service goes?

biskit_earl

Reaction score
Takeshi,

Please don't be so quick to dismis or knock the ideas or solutions of others. The OP clearly stated that it worked for him. Keep in mind that all of us are from a huge variety of locations and the wireless and gps signals are going to differ from place to place. That's what a forum is for, getting as many ideas as possible in one place.

~biskit_earl~