Snapdragons

Sputnick

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the snapdragon that was in for instance, the Droid incredible and the snapdragon in the new t bolt coming out? Because there both 1 gig?

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

trailblazen

Reaction score
may want to check the TB threads for this question since Snap doesn't exist for the bionic.

swamp

Reaction score
Yes all of the information is in the link above (the link is however, broken, due to the missing last parenthesis).

In summary the Snapdragon in the Inc was a very early one, so called 1st generation. It uses an older manufacturing process that dictates how small the semiconductor feature sizes can be. The 2nd generation process used for the TBs chip not only allows a smaller chip but it improves on power consumption. Qualcomm has stated a 30% improved dynamic power consumption for the 2nd gen chips as well as a greatly improved idle power consumption (that detail not from the wiki page...)

Inc's Snap also uses an older graphics system (lower performance) Adreno 200 vs. Adreno 205.

There are also a slightly different set of wireless technolgies supported between the models.

OP
S

Sputnick

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure my phone won't be out of date right away

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

muzhik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus One
TB should be good for about a year or so, until new technology comes out...

rushmore

Reaction score
Yes all of the information is in the link above (the link is however, broken, due to the missing last parenthesis).

In summary the Snapdragon in the Inc was a very early one, so called 1st generation. It uses an older manufacturing process that dictates how small the semiconductor feature sizes can be. The 2nd generation process used for the TBs chip not only allows a smaller chip but it improves on power consumption. Qualcomm has stated a 30% improved dynamic power consumption for the 2nd gen chips as well as a greatly improved idle power consumption (that detail not from the wiki page...)

Inc's Snap also uses an older graphics system (lower performance) Adreno 200 vs. Adreno 205.

There are also a slightly different set of wireless technolgies supported between the models.

True dat :)

You should be able to OC the TB to 1.2 ghz, be a lot faster than the Incredible and STILL run cooler than the Incredible :)

That said, you can get that same performance without OCing a Tegra 2.... My gTablet has spoiled me.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

True dat :)

You should be able to OC the TB to 1.2 ghz, be a lot faster than the Incredible and STILL run cooler than the Incredible :)

That said, you can get that same performance without OCing a Tegra 2.... My gTablet has spoiled me.

The Thunderbolt would be able to be overclocked upwards of 1.8GHz if current 2nd gen chips are anything to go off of.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

biggles

Reaction score
The other thing I have heard about the second generation snapdragons is that the gpu (adreno 205) is much better than before. So, it should be above average in gaming performance. Some people were disappointed in the graphics performance of the Droid Incredible and the Nexus One since the older Motorola Droid outperformed these phones in some games, such as Asphalt 5.

Sleeve

Reaction score
The smartbench gaming results in the wirefly video put the snapdragon well behind the nvidia dual cores. On the other hand, this gen of snapdragon has the necessary hooks to allow Netflix streaming, if implemented. Given that Skype video chat failed to launch we may not see Netflix either until tiered data plans kick in, rumored as some time in the summer.