Smart Watch for Elderly -- Health Tracking

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
My parents are wanting smart watches. Both track their heart rate due to health issues, and I would like some sort of GPS tracking in case dementia sets in and I need to find them. Should I be looking at a Fit, or something else?
My dad likes classy-looking things, so I don't know if he would wear a Fit. He'd be more receptive to something that looks like a nice dress watch.
Thoughts? Anyone have a similar situation with feedback?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure which modern watches have Heart Rate and GPS, and look like a nice watch. The Fitbit might do both, but don't really look like a watch. I think the Huwea Watch 2 has both features, and looks good. I think they are pretty expensive though. And not sure if you can buy them in the US right now? Also, I'm not sure if any current watches with GPS have tracking built in, where you can track the watches location from a phone. Maybe they do, but I think they track their location and display it for you but you can't bring up a "find my watch on a map" feature?

There may be something out there that can do all of this but doesn't run Wear OS / Android Wear?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
one thing you do have to look at is how frail their wrists might be. some of those watches are heavy and can hurt the wrist. might have to look at some of the smaller options like fitbit.

on a personal note, I do not consider my wrists frail but there are time I just got to take my watch off and never wear it around the house because of the discomfort it causes. It is a gear s2 classic.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Neither are very frail, but I get what you're saying. I guess, in a perfect world, they would look like real watches, not these plastic playful-looking Fits, but if that's what they need, I think they'll deal with it. I wonder if Fit is the best, or if there are other's out there that work more with the elderly and are accurate. I saw some when I was Googling around, but I don't know about their reputation. Seems everyone has a Fit, so those must be fairly decent -- just don't know if they'll do what I'm hoping they'll do.
I really don't want to get set up with one of those monthly monitoring kinda things unless there's no other choice for what we want.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I had a fitbit before getting the gear. It was great. I actually wore it around the ankle by extending the band. took it off about once a week to charge it. I only got the gear because I wanted something with notifications and at the time fitbit sports bands did not have that option.

so my question is, would your parents want one with phone notifications, samsung/android/apple pay, make phone calls and other addition features :)

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I had a fitbit before getting the gear. It was great. I actually wore it around the ankle by extending the band. took it off about once a week to charge it. I only got the gear because I wanted something with notifications and at the time fitbit sports bands did not have that option.

so my question is, would your parents want one with phone notifications, samsung/android/apple pay, make phone calls and other addition features :)
I don't think they need all the phone gizmos, honestly. My dad doesn't need more distractions LOL
The heart rate monitor with tracking capabilities -- some kind of logging, and GPS for their daughter to find them if they decide to go off their usual trail, should be all that's really needed. I know my dad loves gadgets and would welcome more goodies, but heart and GPS are the "must haves"

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Does Fitbit offer GPS tracking from a phone / computer? Where you can find your / their Fitbit on a map?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
most smartwatch tracking requires wifi or connected to a smartphone. look like if you want a guarantee real time, you will need a watch with a sims card. you might get a monthly fee anyway whether it be through your service provider or a third party.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Watches like the Moto 360 Gen 2 have built in GPS. So you can run /bike without your phone and still track GPS satellites and get basic map data. But....I don't think there is any way to go to a phone or computer and find the watch and see it on a map.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
most smartwatch tracking requires wifi or connected to a smartphone. look like if you want a guarantee real time, you will need a watch with a sims card. you might get a monthly fee anyway whether it be through your service provider or a third party.
But if they each have a smart phone, wouldn't that count?

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Watches like the Moto 360 Gen 2 have built in GPS. So you can run /bike without your phone and still track GPS satellites and get basic map data. But....I don't think there is any way to go to a phone or computer and find the watch and see it on a map.

I wonder if there's some sort of "Where's my watch" app that would allow me to track them that way....

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I wonder if there's some sort of "Where's my watch" app that would allow me to track them that way....
I can track my watch from my phone....as long as it's connected to my phone. That's kind of what I'm getting at. Watches have GPS in them for exercising purposes. I don't think that type of GPS functionality is two way, where you can track from an outside source. I could be wrong though. Now if they have their phones with them you could find them on a map

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
They do keep their phones with them. They don't use them much, but my dad keeps his in a belt holster and my mom's is in her purse when they go out. At home, they sit on the kitchen table. Always on.