Smart Phones, Now With More Viruses!

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Original article here: http://androidcommunity.com/symantec-milli...loads-20120127/

Symantec: millions of Android devices infected from Market downloads

If you’re waiting for a wake-up call when it comes to Android malware, this might be it. Security software vendor Symantec has published a report claiming that anywhere from one to five million Android phones and tablets may be infected with the Android.Counterclank spyware. The infections spread from thirteen identified apps across three developers, some of which have already been removed from the Android Market, presumably by Google. Most were blatant copies of popular games or vaguely naughty apps.

The Android.Counterclank malware is technically a trojan: it can receive remote commands and send back personal information. It’s a serious risk for anyone who has it installed on their hardware. Exact download numbers aren’t known, but looking briefly at some of the estimated downloads in the web version of the Android Market, Symantec could very well be correct. This is the largest documented security breach for Android so far, and it doesn’t help that the apps are still available for download.

If you’ve downloaded any of the apps listed below, remove them immediately.You should also change any passwords you have stored on your Android device and check any vital accounts for illicit access.

• Counter Elite Force
  • Counter Strike Ground Force
  • CounterStrike Hit Enemy
  • Heart Live Wallpaper
  • Hit Counter Terrorist
  • Stripper Touch girl
  • Balloon Game
  • Deal & Be Millionaire
  • Wild Man
  • Pretty women lingerie puzzle
  • Sexy Girls Photo Game
  • Sexy Girls Puzzle
  • Sexy Women Puzzle
Calling this a huge problem is putting things mildly. Some of these apps have been available for months. As great a tool as the relatively open Android Market is, the continual discovery of spyware and malware in widely available apps is a black eye on the Market and Android as a whole. We await Google’s reesponse to Symantec’s findings with interest.

droidxd00d

Reaction score
A report filed by an antivirus company? I'm saying BS.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Technically a trojan, but not in the sense of traditional viral software.....weren't we simply calling these things malware on PC's a few years back? Heck in my personal opinion games like drag racing and the facebook app have malware in them....just check out the app Privacy Blocker to see what kind of data your apps steal/record/use.

As far as being a threat is concerned, unless you use an app like TiBU to alter the markets ability to connect with your apps then when google removes the offending software, it should also get pulled from your phone.

OP
Vepaot

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Yeah, virus was not the correct term, but the fact of the matter is that as mobile computing becomes infinitely more popular, the creators of malware and viral programs will shift their focus to these mediums. And while I agree with xd00d that a lot of this is probably just malarkey, I like to keep an eye out on the security of this growing trend we're in.

tituswife

Reaction score
Technically a trojan, but not in the sense of traditional viral software.....weren't we simply calling these things malware on PC's a few years back? Heck in my personal opinion games like drag racing and the facebook app have malware in them....just check out the app Privacy Blocker to see what kind of data your apps steal/record/use.

As far as being a threat is concerned, unless you use an app like TiBU to alter the markets ability to connect with your apps then when google removes the offending software, it should also get pulled from your phone.

Where can I get TiBU? Could not find it in Market. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Speaking of virus stuff lookout or symantec necessary?

azdrifter

Reaction score
Many people say that virus protection on a smart phone is not necessary, but i personally think that the fact is they are tiny computers and can still be hacked into so I do use virus protection. I use Avast and it doesn't slow my phone down and I've had no issues so far.

Tapin & Talking roaming the forums on my Bionic

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I've never personally had a phone virus and don't know anyone else that has either. The threat is greatly exaggerated and I would take such warnings from an antivirus company (lol) with a grain of salt.

rdgxray

Reaction score
I installed AVG pro for .99 cents. That is enough money and effort on security for my phone. I feel safe and secure without breaking the bank or turning control of my phone over to symantec. Some protection is justified, to much is ridiculous. If you really have secret information, don't put it on your phone. Just ask Scarlet Johansson.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
A virus requires root privileges in order to operate an since Android is a Linux OS that means viruses will never work. lol the hackers are limited to the windows OS only cuz it gives u root privileges right of the back. where as Linux u must usea terminal an a set of commands to become the root users. Why do u think Linux is so popular with IT gurus an security sensitive main frames/servers