Slow internet speed

Francoislow

Reaction score
I had bought a droid 2 global and was using in Singapore. I was currently using the local service provider here. I encounter problem like low signal strength and slow internet speed. I use my droid and browse to speedtest.net and check my internet speed. My ping is 258 ms and 0.68 Mb/s. Is it because my droid is faraway from US ? But I am not using Verizon Wireless. Pls help me !

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I get those speeds at my house : (.....
In the center of the US. So it doesn't have anything to do with proximity .....to the US. It's probably just Singapores cell network.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Signal strength is related entirely to how far you are from the closest cell tower. You can go to Settings--->About Phone--->Device Status to see your Signal Strength. -55dBM is considered excellent signal strength and -100dBm and higher is considered horrible signal strength. I get about 1200KBPS down and 400kbps at my work because we're right next to a Verizon Wireless cellphone tower. At home I get about 200kbps down and 100kbps up with almost 0 bars. With my WiFi it goes much higher - 5000kbps down and 1800kbps up.

So your speeds are entirely reliant on the cellular tower that you are using, the distance from the tower, and how many people are using the tower loading it down.

OP
F

Francoislow

Reaction score
Thank you so much for for all the replies :) I got 100dBm and higher for my signal strength. My service provider for my droid is HSPA for my internet network. WHen I change it to GSM mode, the signal bar immediately turn full, and when I change to automatic, it remains low signal strength. When I see youtube videos of ppl reviewing the phone. Their droid is way 2x faster than mine. My droid is slower than my friend's iphone =( I had a 1.2GHz processor

MaryNgo

Reaction score
Oh very nice that I was facing like same problem in my droid because of slow signal strength so after reading this forum I applied the settings of that which you define in replies and I got really better internet speed Thanks for your post.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
GSM has worldwide support where CDMA is limited. If your phone supports GSM, you should get better speed.